Didn't water down Supermatt before painting plaster...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I painted Dulux Supermatt onto dry plaster without watering it down (stupidly not reading the instructions I just used it like I usually use paint). I now realise - too late - that I should have watered it down (just from actually reading the instructions). I did the first coat yesterday and have just done the second. There don't seem to be any problems so far, but I'm wondering if anyone knows how long it should be before I either see any peeling (as I've read can happen) or can be fairly confident I've got away with it (is it possible to get away with it??)? I was planning to paint over the walls with some other paint and tile some areas (it's the kitchen) and leave the ceiling as is. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to proceed would be much appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
I would guess if it were to peel it would do so swiftly. New plaster sucks water out of paint making it not adhere as well. You maybe will get away with it on the ceiling as that is unlikely to get knocked. Walls maybe different. At least it’s not the vinyl stuff which could peel off like plastic sheets. Try a bit in an inconspicuous area to put your mind at ease.

If it's not come off when you did the second coat you'll probably be ok. If it hadn't adhered, rollering on the second coat would have taken off the first coat so if that didn't happen you're probably ok.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would not advise tiling over the painted areas in the kitchen. The water in the adhesive may cause the paint to peel away, resulting in tiles that fall off.

It might be advisable to spray those areas with water, let it soak into the paint and then simply scrape the paint off. If it comes off easily then you know that it would have presented problems. If it doesn't then you may have dodged the proverbial bullet. In future, consider priming plaster to be tiled with SBR, unlike PVA it creates a waterproof barrier that is not reactivated when it gets wet.

I have known DIYers who forgot to thin paints and never had any problems. In most cases they were using cheap quality paints such as Leyland. The low acrylic/latex level in Supermatt hopefully means you will be alright.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back