1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Diesels

Discussion in 'General Cars' started by Djangobanjo, 22 Mar 2021.

1. fixitflav

fixitflav

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I agree with most of that, but I think most of the eg Range Rovers on the road (seems like about every 3rd vehicle round here) weren't bought because of need for space. Mostly as status symbols or something to blow a pension pot on. And reading too much Jeremy Clarkson!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    People have also become bigger and wider - anyone tried getting into an Austin 7?

• Like Like x 1
  4. fixitflav

fixitflav

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The government have pledged to tackle obesity. Discouraging bigger cars might help on that front!

5. Avocet

Avocet

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    20200607_130525.jpg

Exactly. The car in the middle is my 30-odd year old Alfa 164. A BMW 5-Series sized car in its day! It looks absolutely tiny next to the Nissan Note (yes, that's a Nissan Note!) on its left!

6. Avocet

Avocet

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    So... pretty much anything with more than 3 wheels then?!

7. Avocet

Avocet

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That's because most people buy their cars based on the largest thing / most people they're likely to want to get in it. For several years, I had 7-seat MPVs. Why, when I only had a family of 5? Because it was nigh-impossible to get three child seats next to each other in the back! As soon as the oldest was out of her child seat, it was 2 child seats in Row 2 and a booster cushion in Row 3. However, for the vast majority of the miles that those cars covered, they were just carrying me. You can always carry small things in a big car. You can't do it the other way round.

8. Avocet

Avocet

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Might be truer to say "...so that it suffers less damage from other cars in an accident, I'd have thought?

9. Avocet

Avocet

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Oh they've noticed alright, but they're addicted to the tax revenue they bring.

10. Sponsored Links
  11. Avocet

Avocet

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think that last one's a bit suspect! Almost like someone "needs" a Rolex because of their stature in life! WTF?! Nobody needs a Rolex!

12. Avocet

Avocet

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    However, Mrs Avocet now drives Skoda Kodiaq. Bloody mahoosive monster which weighs 1862kg with just driver and a full tank of fuel! The reason, is because she's only just started driving again, 2-and-a-bit years after an accident that ended her career and has left her with a permanent (thought mercifully, relatively slight) mobility impairment.

Duggary end.jpg

Duggary end 2.jpg

That was a Nissan X-Trail.

So who the hell am I to tell her she shouldn't be driving such a big, heavy car?

On the plus side, despite being so big, it has so far averaged about 7 MPG better than the X-Trail and produces less CO2 per mile and fewer other emissions.

13. sxturbo

sxturbo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No, but people want.

Which is the whole point people should have the choice of what they drive not dictated to what they are allowed to drive.

14. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    an interesting but contentious word.

• Like Like x 1
  15. fixitflav

fixitflav

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    But wearing a Rolex has no consequences for other people. Choice of vehicle does have.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Some people are just too easily impressed. I drive a top of the range large diesel car, which have had for a decade, does 50/60 mpg. I love it on the road, but hate it for parking in tight spaces, it's over 16' long. I can easily afford to buy a new one, but why? I have just had it thoroughly inspected and it's good as new. I have an expensive gold wristwatch for a few decades, which I have rarely worn. I have a cheap Casio, which is radio controlled and solar powered - which basically means I never need to adjust, wind, or fit new batteries, but it is well battered, because I never take it off. I really ought to buy a new one, but why?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stivino

Stivino

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I too have an old diesel car. It's 13 years old and I've had it for 5 years.
    My mate just paid £30,000 for a new car and was telling me how it does this, that and the other. My reply to everything he told me was "mine does that".
    Already, his car is worth less than 20 grand.
    I gave up wearing a watch when I got a mobile phone.

• Like Like x 2