Differcult building control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I booked the local building control Department to visit my house for a regularisation on a mini extension which was 10 years old, need a very so I can move. Buyers solicitor has requested it.

I have an issue now, first guy come round rude and nasty to my wife. Poor comments made to her as she 30 weeks pregnant. Left her in tears and not in a good way

I logged a complaint about the guy to the building control officer. I think they are now causing me more work and are being very difficult. The builder has never seen a BC company being like this.

Was I wrong to complain as now it’s costing me money and time. But I feel I needed to complain.

What do you think.

Sponsored Links
I booked the local building control Department to visit my house for a regularisation on a mini extension which was 10 years old, need a very so I can move. Buyers solicitor has requested it.

I have an issue now, first guy come round rude and nasty to my wife. Poor comments made to her as she 30 weeks pregnant. Left her in tears and not in a good way

I logged a complaint about the guy to the building control officer. I think they are now causing me more work and are being very difficult. The builder has never seen a BC company being like this.

Was I wrong to complain as now it’s costing me money and time. But I feel I needed to complain.

What do you think.

Its a shame you couldnt get indemnity insurance.

not doubting your comments in the least buuuut
what exactly was said on both sides how exactly did communications go before and during the visit
just wondering why someone would turn up and be offensive as it doesnt make sense

Sponsored Links
Regularization needs a delicate and professional approach to negotiate with BC as to what they need to actually inspect. Anything else is likely to end up with the homeowner being railroaded.

Why weren't you present? It needs a proffesional approach

Why? It would have been worthless?

As far as I know all indemnity insurance is worthless. However if the buyer and or conveyencing solicitor accepts it, its definitely worth it if it allows a house sale to proceed.

Regarding the attitude issue, probably an example of a jobsworth. Building inspectors have to be strong as they get pressurised by builders all the time, most inspectors are really helpful despite this, some are numpties.

We understood we would need to make holes and do some work for comments to be made at first visit like this what would you do:

Booked a visit to ask what needed to open as we told them we were just getting ready to exchage and cane into our house and the comments stated like this:

1,Don’t think your be moving soon!
2,Think you will be having the baby here now
3, I have first aid don’t worry
4, I need to find all about extension and mentioned somthing about bluffing him
5, don’t be looking at moving soon.
All said with a smarmy grin on his face.

We understood we would need to make holes and do some work for comments to be made at first visit like this what would you do:

Booked a visit to ask what needed to open as we told them we were just getting ready to exchage and cane into our house and the comments stated like this:

One of those occasions when you feel like wanting to punch someone, but the best thing is to keep quiet until you get what you want.

may be a lack off tact or humour rather than meaning to be offensive
some people do seem to lack social skills??

Regularization needs a delicate and professional approach to negotiate with BC as to what they need to actually inspect. Anything else is likely to end up with the homeowner being railroaded.

Owner: Hi Mr BCO, here's the extension I want regularised; just tell me exactly what you want to see and I'll have it ready for your next visit. I'll mark the exact places on the walls/floors etc.
BCO: This, this and this; and this done like this. See you next time.
Owner: OK bye!

Why is that too simple? BCOs are civic functionaries whose work is governed by regulation. Whilst their opinon and banter may be useful/humerous, it counts for nothing.

All he was interested in was writing an email to tell me what to do rather than mark up like you said above.

He just needed to be tackfull. Once I get it all sorted. I’m going to come down on them so hard. I will sit i their office all day if a have to.

Am I missing something? This is a DIY site not Mumsnet!

Owner: Hi Mr BCO, here's the extension I want regularised; just tell me exactly what you want to see and I'll have it ready for your next visit. I'll mark the exact places on the walls/floors etc.
BCO: This, this and this; and this done like this. See you next time.
Owner: OK bye!
No because a professional approach may well save the need for digging holes here there and everywhere, I didn't say a homeowner could not be professional in their approach just that that is what is required. If you are blase and allow Mr BCO the run of the roost he will run rings round you and have you jumping through hoops, a bit like the OP! No one is doubting that the OP's initial BCO is a bellend but unless the OP's missus is familiar with Building Regs and what has been constructed it was poor judgement to leave it to her deal with it.

It sounds incredibly judgemental to me. You are totally right not to put up with it!

Moving is stressful at the best of times. This sounds bang out of order.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back