Difference between Phillips, Possi drive, cross head?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above really, I always thought they were the same, until reading on here, so can someone please explain the differences.

Thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
Philips and cross head are the same - as simple cross.
Pozi is similar, but has a slight flat end. But the easiest way to tell if a screw is Philips or Pozi is that Pozi has small lines between the cross. Pozi is generally more widely used.
You'll need to use the correct screwdriver for either...otherwise you chew it up.

This shows the difference
PhillipsPozi.gif

Thank you very much.

May explain why I chew up so many screws/bits

just to add in woodwork 90% off the time you need a pozi 2 bit also now known by "pro " prefix

in metric 3 3.5 4 4.5 and 5 take pozi 2 and imperial 6 7 8 10s

with metric sixes can be both pozi 2 or 3 and imperial 12 are pozi3

also in imperial no4 s use a pozi 1 but can somtimes work better with philips [ph1]

basicly the screw should sit on the bit without much or any sidways movement you should also be able to carry the screw on the bit to the wood

Sponsored Links
That helps too thanks, looks like im gunna get myself a few new bits

The screws are as important as the bits - el cheapo trade packs from DIY sheds can be a pain as the driver recess is not as accurately cut as on 'proper' screws - If you're just installing loft flooring or similar then by all means save your money but for anything where you need to be sure the screw goes in straight and with minimum fuss then it's bast to avoid.

Also with cheapy screws you will normally need to drill a pilot hole first - I've got a load of the screwfix Turbogold screws and I very rarely have to drill a pilot with these.

Vis a vis brands you can't go wrong with Spax but anything you pick up from somewhere like Screwfix should be OK.

That helps too thanks, looks like im gunna get myself a few new bits

I'd get decent bits if I were you, the cheap ones are awfully soft...I'd rather have 2 or 3 top quality ones than a boxful of cheapies.

Talking of nice bits, I have a 90mm PZ2 Wera bit that I use on an impact drill and it has outlasted 5-6 regular Dewalt PZ2 bits! And its still going strong.

I've got a Wera Diamond PZ2 bit that's excellent but I rarely use it as I have a bosch PZ2 ACR bit that is still going strong despite a good few years of abuse!

In the "cross head" style there are also Chinese and Japanese variants. They tend to be more pointed then Philips. The sides of the cross are also thinner so they rattle about in the posidrive cross. FWIW Philip headed screws were invented in the States so they could assemble radio sets with air powered tools. I don't think that in WW2 they worried too much about taking them out again!
Frank

Hi, if you are using a drill when doing up screws, always set the speed to low, you will get better control by doing this and also not chew the bits up so often.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back