Difference between rendering and plastering

bfd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Does anyone know what rendering is and how it differs to plastering?

Also one other question is, when should bonding be used instead of other kinds of plaster?...is it just when you are plastering directly onto brick?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
i have always understood 'rendering' to mean a thick, troweled-on material directly applied to masonry.

it can either be cement/lime based (external) or gypsum/vermiculite based (internal).

plastering refers to the decoration of the internal walls and ceilings of a house using gypsum based products, as these cannot be used externally.

probably.

p.s. bonding is suitable for low suction backgrounds but can be used just about anywhere internally.

Thanks for the reply.

So where would you use render inside a house then? Wouldn't you always use bonding or plasterboard directly on inside bricks?

Or would using bonding on bricks inside the house be described as rendering?

Sponsored Links
As Noseall said, Bonding or any Gypsum plaster is for internal use only. Bonding plaster in particular can be used on brick,block,concrete(with pva advised) & plaster-board.Any of these surfaces providing they are inside would be ok to use bonding coat on.It is then finished off with a finishing plaster.This kind of coating is called "float & set"You CANNOT cement render onto plasterboard. Most rendering is carried out externally,but maybe in a commercial premises,where the walls might take bit of rough treatment,and they didn't want the bare concrete block look..that could be rendered....There is nothing to stop anybody rendering brick or block walls in a house,but gypsum plasters,although softer than render,are more "friendly" in a domestic situation.

Roughcaster.

It`s just as the guys describe . The only exception I`ve seen to it is in Ireland. Over there in a lot of new and old builds they mortar render the inside walls then finish them with plaster which is strange to us in UK.

This may be where you have heard it mentioned.

Alex

It`s just as the guys describe . The only exception I`ve seen to it is in Ireland. Over there in a lot of new and old builds they mortar render the inside walls then finish them with plaster which is strange to us in UK.

Alex
Strange :eek: I saw it done in the 60`s +70`s here in Sussex

Alex
Strange :eek: I saw it done in the 60`s +70`s here in Sussex

Loads of it in England, especially in refurbs. A lot of builders prefer kitchens and bathrooms floated in sand and cement because of condensation and fixings for units etc.

In Ireland they like something solid, that will last longer , and take a bit of wear better. You can damproof all the walls in a house for thirty quids worth of additive, which you can't do with gypsum .

A lot of builders see hardwall as the poor relation to sand and cement in the same way that browning is avoided by most nowadays.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back