Difference ILFE + DGF + DFE

Hi chaps interesting thread.

As a gas newbee I find all this info very interesting. At college I remember the lecturer saying that if there is a doubt , then there isn't, and you should IUP.

I took the fire element to enable me to work on BBU as obviously you have to service the fire at the same time. I do not think that when I am registered I will touch a stand alone fire as it just seems a can of worms!!

Si

Sponsored Links
Wel the problem is that you establish it's ID but then you are asked by the householder to put it right, they think this can be done for tuppence halfpenny.

Back boilers have seldom had a service and frequently no ventilation or inadequate ventilation. Very likely to have flame reach, and it reaches forward into the room across all the pvc electric leeds in it's search for oxygen.

you can get a builders rubble sack full of soot out of the flue ways when you go to one in that state. you will have taken a whole morning to do a service be late on all your other jobs, come away with soot over every item of clothing in your hair and nostrils. The rest pf the day you will look and smell quite unlike a calm and collected organised skiled person that you are, shelving that image for a harrassed over worked unwashed unkempt urchin chimney sweep's apprentice.

My advice is also forget bbu's.

Hi Paul.

I apologise for hijacking the post.

With what you have said Paul, would you give a price for a service on a BBu in such bad condition or would you walk away?

I have yet to go to a BBU that has adequate ventilation. If this is repeated throughout the country there must be thousands of unsafe appliances.

Si

Ventilation has to be no less than 90% of what is required otherwise it has to go off.

I always use a 5" stadium core drill vent for bbu's. This will give a maximum of 100cm2 ventilation. Enough for a bbu. I generally find that there is either enough ventilation or none at all :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
yes there are thousands of unsafe bbu's, yes I do drill a core hole and a 100cm vent. Sometimes the vent is in the floor adjacent to the chimney breast and relies on suitable air bricks which is also quite dodgy, or has had built in cupboards installed and a pile of books on the original vent. Very common to find an old vent wallpapered over. I've even found a vent on the inside but bricked up on the outside by a dampproofing company. Interference by other trades is a big cause of unsafe situations. I went to a boiler in a loft room where original flue position was fine but someone else cam along in the meantime and stuck a velux window right beside the flue. Let's not even talk about conservatories visia vis kitchen's and doors to outside or flue adaptations by conservatoryerectors..

I noticed some smooth lumps which one of those wall spraying companies had left.
One was sealing the prv from the boiler, the other from the Megflo!

Had one today where the double glazing salesman had given the old dear a cast iron guarantee that the closeable, crappy little vents above her 2 week old double glazing were suitable for a 100,000 btu OF Kingfisher, instead of the 2 non-closeable window vents she used to have!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back