Difficulty sourcing replacement 32mm push fit seal in old soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting a washing machine waste on the old sink waste 32mm spiggot/push fit collar on the soil pipe.

It looks like the old sink 32mm waste going into the soil pipe was cut to length with a broken roof tile, so the seal is shot. The seat in the old grey 32mm collar is different, so a new O ring from a 32mm push fitting doesn't stay seated when you push the pipe in, even with a dose of washing up liquid and a chamfered end the new pipe still drags the new O ring in.

Is there anywhere I can find a replacement for the original seal?

The sink waste spiggot on the soil pipe is 43 O/D, is it going to be easier to just carefully cut the old grey collar off and put a 40mm compression on it? I have some offcut Aquaflow that's 43 O/D?

Thank you P_20220316_123509[1].jpg P_20220316_123537[1].jpg P_20220316_124158[1].jpg

Dain

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, rubber seals harden over time and 'mould' themselves to fit the spigot, it's rare they ever seal again once disturbed. That fitting is probably best part of 40 years old, if not more, chances of getting a replacement seal and for it to actually work are probably less than Nil. Regardless of that, a Washing Machine needs a 40mm waste to cope with the flow when it pumps out, reducing to 32mm is never advised, as it causes a ideal spot for crud to catch and build up, restricting the pipe bore even further.

If you can get a compression joint on the remains of the spigot once the collar is cut off you might be lucky, but I would be concerned about how secure it would be, if it comes off the result wont be pretty. Some clever utilisation of cable ties might be a worthwhile addition to try and secure a fitting in position. Looking at the pic, you'e a bend immediately below the boss fitting, so cutting it out isn't going to be easy. (or fun...)

A silicone adhesive, not a sealant, may be the answer there, if putting in a new fitting isn't. An adhesive hardens to a firm rubber rather than a soft pliable one like sealant. Something like Strong Stuff Wet Grab or Sticks like Sh*t. Offer in a length of pipe and then fill the gap all around, use duct tap to hold it centered and in place, leave a min of 24hrs to set properly. It'll end up being a semi permanent repair. it is a bit of a bodge but as bodges go it's a pretty good one if nothing else will do.

That's an Osma boss pipe you have there, get the boss adaptor linked below, prize off the front retaining ring on the boss adaptor with two small screwdrivers, the same with the boss pipe, fit the new ring seal into the boss pipe first before snapping the retaining ring back on as there is a ridge on the ring seal that's held in place with it.
https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/soi...98g-32mm-ring-seal-boss-adaptor-grey/p/758540

osma boss.JPG

Sponsored Links
That's an Osma boss pipe you have there, get the boss adaptor linked below, prize off the front retaining ring on the boss adaptor with two small screwdrivers, the same with the boss pipe, fit the new ring seal into the boss pipe first before snapping the retaining ring back on as there is a ridge on the ring seal that's held in place with it.
https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/soi...98g-32mm-ring-seal-boss-adaptor-grey/p/758540

View attachment 264402

Tnx, I'll pop down and get one.

Also, is that old boss solvent compatible? I'll try to put a new 32mm seal in with a couple of 45% bends instead of a 90%, but washing machine waste should be 40mm..

View attachment 264402

Yes, that seal fitted. Not that difficult to fit either. New waste fitted to wall.

tnx.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back