Dimmer for 2 way led lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after some advice please. We've just fitted 8 Enlite E5s on our landing, controllerd by 2 way switching. To be honest, they are too bright so I'm looking to fit a dimmer in place of the downstairs rocker but I'm a bit lost as to what I need. I imagined (hoped) I could just buy a trailing edge ready made rotary switch to fit on place of the rocker but now I'm not so sure. Can anyone offer any advice on what indeed here please? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Not used one but that screwfix dimmer seems well rated by people dimming Dimmable Led, though to me the description is a bit vaque it does claim to dim Led including 8 x 5w = 40watt, which is about what you have.
ae235

This is a case in point.

The guy wants a dimmer. Why not provide some practical assistance?
I’m surprised you didn’t suggest they put on sunglasses…

No he has clearly put in too many lights, eight on a landing where most people would have one or two if it is very big. His first reaction is to fit a dimmer, but the obvious answer is to remove the excess. Yes it probably means repairing the Swiss cheese ceiling but we make mistakes and learn.

Maybe the OP wants it bright in some situations, and less bright in others? That’s why I have dimmers in most rooms of my house.

Not used one but that screwfix dimmer seems well rated by people dimming Dimmable Led, though to me the description is a bit vaque it does claim to dim Led including 8 x 5w = 40watt, which is about what you have.

I'm using one to dim 5x Enlite E5's and a 6w LED retrofit bulb - 28.5w in total
No he has clearly put in too many lights, eight on a landing where most people would have one or two if it is very big. His first reaction is to fit a dimmer, but the obvious answer is to remove the excess. Yes it probably means repairing the Swiss cheese ceiling but we make mistakes and learn.
8 is probably a bit excessive, but I fitted 5 in a relatively small room but use a dimmer - with a single pendant light it was dark with lots of shadows. With multiple light sources I can have much more even lighting.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your valuable input. It's a big landing coupled to a corridor and yes, I may have overdone it on the number of lights. It's hard to find any meaningful (dare I use that word these days?) guidance on the layout and spacing of lights for anything other than kitchens, bathrooms and living rooms. I wanted a uniform spread of light with no shadowy areas and I've achieved that. Just need to tone it down a little once the kids have gone to bed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back