Dimmer switch - 480watts G9 Halogen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a double dimmer switch where one switch controls 2 ceiling lights each with 6 G9 40watts, and the other controls 2 wall lights each with 3 G9 40watts. The switch for the wall lights needs to be 2 way.
So I think a 2G 2W 2x400vA won't be enough as I have a load of 480watts on the first switch.
Where can I buy the required dimmer switch - or should I just down power to 25watt G9 halogens in which case the above dimmer switch would be OK?
Are they making G9 bulbs in low energy versions yet?

Sponsored Links
Are they making G9 bulbs in low energy versions yet?
funnily enough, and to my utter astonishment, yes, they are! But they aint suitable for dimming.

I dont think you will find what you're after in terms of dimming your existing fittings though.

The MK grid system may have something for you, but with 480 watts of halogen, you may need a 1kw dimmer, which can only sit on its own on a single plate. See, with halogen, you need to derate the dimmer because halogen has a start up surge which can damage a dimmer. Though some dimmers dont need derating now. :D

Buying an x-gang dimmer then mix'n'matching the modules is often required.

Richmond I think make a 500w single module width dimmer that'll fit in a standard 2 gang dimmer (with a 47mm backbox) they say is suitable for internally fused mains voltage halogen lamps- I've yet to find a manufacturer who specifies their lamps carry this.

Pesonally I'd fit a double width plate to accomodate a double width dimmer module (a blank plate and drill holes yourself or special order) and do yourself a favour, seeing as its 230v halogen fit softstart/electronic/"intelligent" dimmer modules

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back