Dimmer Switch Electric Useage At Zero

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just installed a push-on/off dimmer switch and have a query.

Although this is push on/off, if I turn the dial all the way down to the bottom, meaning no light at all comes from the bulb, is this actually off and thus not using any electricity, or is it technically still on and burning full electric even though nothing getting to the lightbulb?

I ask because I know that dimmers generally use same elec even when dimmed. This switch is actually a loud push-click which as structure-born sound, travels right up the wall to the room above where my baby sleeps (light sleeper!!) and Im a bit worried that the click may disturb.

Would be easy to just turn the dimmer all the way down in those instances but I have a suspicion that this will still burn through electric even when at rock-bottom dimmer setting.

The dimmer is the single gang georgian style from Wickes.

Any advice much appreciated thank you. I did do a search first but so so many dimmer threads and couldnt see a question that fitted this query.

Thanks
Bob

Sponsored Links
I ask because I know that dimmers generally use same elec even when dimmed.

You know wrong. The power draw does vary with the dimmer/light level, although not in a linear fashion. It's very likely that unless you switch the dimmer off fully by clicking it, there will be a small amount of power drawn continuously.

EDIT: Why not replace with a touch dimmer?

Ah thanks for that Ive been misinformed but very glad you corrected me thanks.

So still some power useage. Prob best to switch off.

Havent gone for touch-dimmer as was buying matching swithces for the whole house which covers many different types, dimmer/toggle as well as 1-way 2-way 1-gang 2-gang etc.. and wanted to be sure I could get all the varieties and them still match.

I could probably have found a set filling all criteria and matching with some looking around but was on a time schedule and restricted to a single visit to Wickes.

Very much appreciate the info, cheers!!

Bob

Get baby used to noise and it will sleep through a light switch being turned off. I don't have any kids BTW :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Get baby used to noise and it will sleep through a light switch being turned off.
Indeed. If a child wakes up from a light switch clicking, it will never be asleep - car drives past, bird lands on windowsill, someone walking past outside, postman puts letters through letterbox, etc.

Same old story as those people who claim the bathroom pull switch wakes other people at night - if they are woken by the click of a switch, what about when the toilet is flushed?

Actually the tone, frequency etc of a noise is far more important in whether it wakes somebody up than the actual volume.

Many people can sleep through quite loud noises but the tone/frequency/wavelength/(other acoustic aspects that Its far too long ago for me to remember if they are relevant) of a bathroom pullswitch can quite easilly wake that person up.

Similarly other noises can sooth for the same basic reaons. many babies are soothed to sleep by vaccums, hairdriers etc.

Short sharp distinct clicks are harder to sleep through.

Our baby while fantastic and wonderful, is not always the best to settle and sleep. It is specific noises though, generally like the bathroom pull switch actually :)

Cheers for the input folks

funny that, our baby will sleep through anything until he is hungry and then we all have to wake up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back