Dimmer switch issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've got a bit of an issue with the dimmer switch in my lounge. It's been installed for about a year and everything has been fine. However, over the last few days, the overload protection is kicking in, preventing me from turning the lights much above halfway brightness.

The switch is a Varilight V-Plus IR 400w. The fitting attached has 6x Halogen G9 40W bulbs, so comfortably inside the maximum of the switch.

If I turn the MCB off and leave it for long enough for the switch to cool down, everything is back to normal for an hour or so. This is the only action which gives me some respite after it has decided to go into overload protection, otherwise it will remain so indefinitely.

Anybody got any ideas why this may have suddenly started to happen? Just a faulty switch maybe? Bulbs starting to pull more power as they age? Or something as silly as the unexpected warm weather making the switch overheat?! I'm considering changing all 6 bulbs tomorrow and seeing if that helps.

Sponsored Links
To clarify, I mean the overload protection of the dimmer switch itself. The MCB doesn't trip. Do you mean put a normal switch in place of the dimmer?

Oh, sorry. I did not read carefully enough.

No, the bulbs cannot draw more current with age. Anyway 240W is well below the limit.
I wouldn't think the weather would make much difference.

Can only think the dimmer has just become faulty.

Have you another dimmer you can substitute or swap and see if the same happens or take out some bulbs before buying new?

Sponsored Links
I don't have another dimmer unfortunately. It's a 2-gang switch tho, so I might swap them over and see what happens.

Take half the bulbs out and see if it works ok then.
Tried this, same behaviour :/

This type of dimmer works by holding the pad down for longer to vary the brightness.

One thing I've noticed... if I just tap the button to turn the lights on it starts very dim (it should resume at the previously selected brightness). If I then try to vary the brightness, it refuses to go above halfway. However, if I hold the button down on the initial press, it will actually power up to full brightness. I just can't vary them once they're turned on!

It does seem to be pointing to a faulty switch. It is also running incredibly hot, more so than usual.

Update. I switched the modules over (its 2 gang) and now the other lights are doing exactly the same. Time for a replacement switch!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back