Dimmer Switch on mains fluorescent downlighters?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've recently had some mains fed fluorescent downlighters fitted to our Kit ceiling.

The light is good but if not a little overpowering (there are 9 in a room size (plan) of 18m2.

I was wondering whether I could simply swap over the single light switch operating the lights for a dimmer?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Unless you specifically bought dimmable fluorescents then the answer is no.

Standard fluorescent fittings can't be dimmed however there are some specials which can. Some use dimming switches and some are dimmed by flicking standard switch off and on again within set time.

But most are very expensive.

Only if they were originally bought with a dimmable ballast and not a standard one.

It usually goes down to a 1-10v dimmer module (I.e. switch line/drop) from the ballast it's self.

I would agree that the answer is probably no.

Sponsored Links
At £15.04 each a little on expensive side but can be dimmed using standard dimmer switches.
These contains its own dimmer. Use with a conventional light switch. Again £7.95 plus vat.
We however don't know type of down lighter used and anyway I am sure it does not require us to google for them.

Yeah the Megaman is an 11w dimmable (240v) for downlights (I think they were discussing linear tube fluorescents though so slightly off topic). It is good but doesn't meet the 40 lumens per circuit watt that is required by building regulations, also it can only be used in ambient temperatures of about 45 deg C. I.e. don't use in fire rated downlighters they get too hot.

I am sure that Aurora lighting have one which is a bit bigger than a standard 50mm lamp but hits the part L regulations, and they have downlights which fit it. However their dimmable version isn't in the market as yet.

With all compact fluorescents (CFL's) they have a warm up time to full brightness which is their downside. So can't wait for LED's to get that bit cheaper and better. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back