Dimmer switches - wiring assistance appreciated please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, either I am going stupid or missing a piece of the jigsaw. In my kitchen I have two separate ceiling lights. Operated at one location with two switches (obviously 1 per light) as I have updated the kitchen I med to do the same with the light. The pictures show how the current switches are wired and the second the replacement. I have replicated the wiring but can only get 1 of the lights to work. All assistance welcome. [

Sponsored Links
Need to see a picture of your "replicated" wiring.

Cannot comment otherwise.

EDIT. One thing I note is that the first (white) set of dimmers - I guess these are the old ones? - are 400watt. The blue ones are 250watt. What sort of lights are on each gang, and how many watts are the lamps. maybe its overloaded...

Need to see a picture of your "replicated" wiring.

Cannot comment otherwise.

As darkness fell I had to put the wiring back to original however with the exception of removing the earth link from the original metal plate to backbox I copied each of the wires from the original as shown into the new. Hope this helps, of course tomorrow during the hours of daylight I can re-wire and post the picture again

Each light fitting has 5 x 40w G9 halogens

As mentioned, check how many W will be placed on each dimmer.

If you can't send a picture, describe how you wired the new switch.

If only one switch is working, you could 'swap' the wiring over to eliminate if the switch or the wiring is at fault. Be sure to check the W of the lights you have controlled by these switches first.

Sponsored Links
I copied each of the wires from the original as shown into the new
Did that include the short link wire between the two switches?
If not, that is certainly why only one is working.

I also included the short wire link into the com on both switches, I will check if any other lights (garage!) are on the same circuit as those that does not work, then it could well be that I need to upgrade to 400W, many thanks to all for now for pointing me in hopefully the right direction.

Do you have a voltage indicator, I would check that you placed the permanent live conductor in the correct terminal.
I would also check that the dimmer is not faulty.

it looks like the live from one cable goes to one switch while the switch live for same cable goes to the other dimmer.

I have swopped the switches for 400W and all working OK many thanks to you all for pointing me in the right direction

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back