Dimplex Quantum QM150 Storage Heater Off-Peak Electric Supply Wiring Help

another option is to go back similar to the existing idea of a plug and socket and timer and just use a new storage heater rated less than 3kw, replace the socket (currentlly a 20a switch) with a switched fused connection unit and fit a suitable timer over the plasterboard hole or reuse the timer they fitted

Sponsored Links
I haven't read all the posts, so cat among pigeons time.

The more experienced installer did point out to his colleague that the 20A DP switch should not have been connected to the ring main,
There are those who might argue that part because 20A DP switches are not BS1363 but that is unrelated to the heater issue.

as the ring main was protected by a 32A MCB (and therefore the heater was not protected to 16A as it should be).
If the manufacturer calls for the heater to be so protected then so be it - but I doubt they do.
The fuse is to protect the cable used.

If the heater cannot cause an overload then, as long as the cable is suitable for the fault current, omission of overload protection is permitted.

So - maybe not quite correct.

The issue is having a long time constant load on the ring circuit.

Is having a long time constant load on the ring circuit a MAJOR issue though?

Can the timer be set a different intervals to overcome this?

Can it be argued that the ring serving the heater won't be serving much else anyway?

Is there any reg saying a socket circuit can't serve a heater?

Are we worrying far too much?

Last edited:
Is having a long time constant load on the ring circuit a MAJOR issue though?
I didn't say 'major' but I was pointing out that that is the only reason for not putting such things on a ring.
(Some seem to think the heater won't work if not on a dedicated circuit.)

Can the timer be set a different intervals to overcome this?
It could.

Can it be argued that the ring serving the heater won't be serving much else anyway?
It could.

Is there any reg saying a socket circuit can't serve a heater?
No.

Are we worrying far too much?
I am not worrying - as above.

Sponsored Links
None of my post was directly addressing you, just simply highlighting a few things for discussion, as obviously this heater is being wired in a slightly unconventional manner. I think I'm satisfied with it, but interested if anyone thought it was a definite no-no.

Many thanks all!

Replies are very comforting that this second, more senior and experienced installer knows a bit more than the first!

I was tempted to just tell them to surface mount the wire from one end of the property to the other to avoid any further faff, but it seems that their suggestion may do the trick whilst being safe, taking less time to sort, and preserving my clean walls.

I really have appreciated ALL of your help on this so much. It scares me to think how many people are put in danger/are ripped off without knowing it!

God bless the age of the internet and god bless you all.

Have an amazing week!

P

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back