Heater not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wondered if anyone could shed some light, I recently installed a Dimplex Quantum QM50 and it was working with no issue.
I came home one day after work and realised the heater had shut down, it had worked in the morning so had charged on the off peak.
I realised the plug socket in the wall had warped a bit by the live prong, so I opened the plug up and there was some small burn marks. I changed the fuse (13A) to see if the fuse had blown but unfortunately this didn't turn the heater back on. The wall plug socket does have power to it.
Does anyone have any ideas how to resolve the issue?

Sponsored Links
The socket may have power to it but what happens if you plug a light into it?

Thanks for the reply but not quite sure what you mean? But I’ve tried a lamp in socket and it works fine.

Overheating can damage both plug and socket. If you see any heat marks, best to replace both with new, using a reputable British brand. Examine the wires. If they show signs of overheating they must be trimmed back to bright copper.

Sponsored Links
I see yours is a storage heater. Presumably it uses some kind of timer to turn on only off peak.

Are you testing it during an off-peak period?

Where is the timer?

Overheating can damage both plug and socket. If you see any heat marks, best to replace both with new, using a reputable British brand. Examine the wires. If they show signs of overheating they must be trimmed back to bright copper.
Your old pfp was better. Thought you were not John for a sec lol

You mean "pic?"

It's Günter Schabowski

Very relevant to 9th November.

Note the stunned faces in the audience. They were low-grade journalists who had come along to listen to official notices such as street-lighting and building codes. Instead they rushed out with the news of a demolition. Many were not believed when they phoned the office.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply but not quite sure what you mean? But I’ve tried a lamp in socket and it works fine.

In which case the problem is within the storage heater or plug and btw, it’s best not to use plugs with such heaters

In which case the problem is within the storage heater or plug and btw, it’s best not to use plugs with such heaters
Are you saying BS1363 plugs are not fit for purpose?
I would agree the modified BS 1363 plug is not suitable for long use at the maximum of 13 amp, but it seems the heater talked about here is only 1000 watt, not 3000 watt, so a BS 1363 plug should be ample. The BS 1363 plug was designed with solid pins able to assist in dissipating the heat produced by the fuse, the modified design with insulators on the live pins has reduced the energy which can be dissipated, so with items using high power over a prolonged time yes I can see how it is better to use a fused connection unit which is larger so better able to dissipate the heat, but 500 watt is hardly what I would call high power.

However from the instructions
WARNING - The electrical installation of this heater must be carried out by a suitably qualified or trained electrician, and be in strict accordance with current wiring regulations.
The peak supply must be connected via a switched fused spur with a fuse rated suitably or the appliances flex, the off-peak supply, via a 20A double pole isolated switch.
In both instances a plug and socket arrangement MUST NOT be utilised. The contact separation to be a minimum of 3mm.
Failure to follow these instructions will mean that the manufacturer’s instructions have not been adhered to. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS.
It continues to say "• Not suitable for connection via a plug top" I would always use a whole plug not just the top, it does make one wonder who wrote the instructions? It is clearly old as refers to IEE regulations, been IET now for around 15 years.

The instructions are for 5 models with 5 different power ratings Input rating +5% / -10% 936/1020W 1435/1560W 2042/2220W 2540/2760W 3024/3300W so with the higher ratings I can see why it says do not use plug and socket.

It seems the heater can have single or duel supply, there is a lot of control within the heater 1699696146017.png and to try to write how to test would be silly, when there is already an instruction set. Including how to connect it to a smart phone.

So is Dimplex saying the BS 1363 is not fit for purpose? It does seem they are, however if it did not have a plug and socket then the tests done to date could not have been done. I will admit I am not sure where off peak heating is going, seems we are loosing the radio 4 time signal, so maybe we now need smart control of storage heaters? I am sure there will be many more posts after mine, and I look forward to seeing the comments.

I realised the plug socket in the wall had warped a bit by the live prong,
Clearly this needs addressing, if Dimplex had not stated that plug and socket must not be used, I would say replace both, as when a socket has an over heated plug in it, the spring tension can be lost which grips the pins in the socket, so both need renewing, but the statement by Dimplex seems to point to not using a plug and socket arrangement.

In the main sockets in a home are arranged as a ring final, the idea is a single 32 amp overload can supply many sockets for use with temporary loads. However with high loads found with storage heaters the radial system is better suited, and homes designed for the Economy 7 supply normally had a dedicated fuse box for that supply, over the years fuse boxes have been replaced with consumer units, and the system has changed as to be frank, the old storage radiators did not store very well, heat leaked out when not required, so they needed a boost, the Economy 10 was aimed at curing the problem.

But things have moved on with heat pumps and the like. With a 60 amp supply and a three story house, I am never going to heat electric, main reason is lack of heating during a power cut, so I can't really advise on how to cure the problem, but it does seem likely you will need an electrician to visit, as said interesting to see what others say.

Genuinely, thank you all for the information. Following @John D v2.0 I have now changed the plug and re-stripped the wire to expose new copper, this has now worked! In due course, I am going to change the wall socket as well!

Previously, I had changed the fuse in the slightly heat-damaged plug as I believed only the fuse had blown. Speaking with an electrician he thought I had exposed too much copper on the live, which on drawing off the live had heated the plastic around causing the burning/warping marking.

The Dimplex I'm using has a dual supply and does its large charge off of a separate economy 7 consumer unit. The daytime plug, in question, only runs its display function and a fan to disperse the heat at certain time periods so a 13A should be ample.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back