disable PIR cable in outside light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am wondering if I can save my outside light and hoping someone could advise please.

I have an outside light with integrated PIR. It no longer works and it's not the bulb that's the problem. It is IP rated but it looks like there is moisture inside the PIR detector bubble.

Inside the light there is a connector block and another cable that appears to go to the PIR block with the time delay switches.

The light is on a switch. I don't mind if, for the winter, the light is on all the time as I have a very low watt bulb. Can I disable the PIR facility by cutting the cable to it and will the light then just operate with the switch?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
You need to bypass it, not just cut the wires. Do that safely and use the connector block that's there if you can.

You need to link out the PIR, not cut cables.
It would be better to explain if you had some detail of the wiring plan.
But generally the neutral will be okay to stay as is, but the incoming live will need to be swapped out of the PIR switching and connecting to the terminal that goes directly to the lamp. Removing the cables that are connected to the PIR from the connectors will help prevent any potential hazards caused by the IP rating failure of the sensor enclosure.

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much for your replies. I will have a look this weekend.
thanks again Amanda

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back