Disconnecting an External Rotary Switch - Advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm getting rid of a hot tub and the only connection on it is a electrical lead to a rotary switch.

To disconnect this, is it just a case of switching the electric off, taking it apart, and then disconnecting. Or is there more to it than that?

No electrical knowledge here - I can just about wire a plug!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Yes there is more.

The cable bringing power to the rotary switch will have to be made safe if the rotary switch is removed. That cable end cannot just be left with the other end connected to the supply. It needs to be disconnected from the supply.

Even if the rotary switch is left in place the removal of the cable to the hot tub will probably leave a hole in the casing that can be a hazard, fingers poking in, water getting in, metal object poked in by inquisitive children etc etc,

You need to identify where the hot tub is powered from. Probably a separate fuse/MCB connection in your consumer unit. It is important to completely disconnect all cores of that cable at that place.
This may mean getting your hands in the guts of a consumer unit where there are dangerous voltages.
Better to get an electrician in, if you don't have a clue.

An alternative option (subject to the cable size and breaker rating being appropriate and the location suitable) may be to replace the rotary isolator with a socket.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your replies!

Does anyone think I could isolate the switch at the main breaker until I can get an electrician to look at it, as a temporary solution?

Of course but it will depend on how the cable is terminated at the supply end. It must be switched off and locked off do there's no chance that somebody will turn it on again.
Post a picture of what is at the supply end. It may be a double pole isolator, or RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back