Disconnecting a light

I agree tread carefully but in most tenancies the first six months are assured, unless the tenant does something to break the agreement the landlord cannot just take the property back.

we just moved into a flat in a block of

so I assume there is still a lt of the six months left.

Sponsored Links
If he is in default over safety of installations then any attempt at re-possession out of revenge would be reasonably easy to counter in the court. Keep copies of all conversations and correspondence between you and the landlord.

It would be difficult to prove and would probably not succeed. The landlord could give notice without giving any reason.

If he is in default over safety of installations then any attempt at re-possession out of revenge would be reasonably easy to counter in the court. Keep copies of all conversations and correspondence between you and the landlord.

It would be difficult to prove and would probably not succeed. The landlord could give notice without giving any reason.

They wouldnt need to prove it, the landlord would have to prove beyond doubt that it wasnt because his electrical installation was unsafe and being called out on it, that provoked him to repossess

Hi Bernard,

Yea, i realise that UK assured shorthold tenancy agreements have the first six months tied up, but there would be nothing to stop a landlord taking the view that this tenant who has just moved in is already showing themselves to be a potential nuisance.

4 months into the tenancy, he issues the normal 2 month notice of re-possession. after six months, tenant is out.

Jono,

I'm not sure that anyone could prove that negative. The landlord can be as sweet as pie to you face, serve the notice and has to prove nothing.

Sponsored Links
They wouldnt need to prove it, the landlord would have to prove beyond doubt that it wasnt because his electrical installation was unsafe and being called out on it, that provoked him to repossess

Would be dealt with in a civil court so beyond reasonable doubt is not applicable. And he wouldn't.

If his first response to a tenant bring up a safety issue is to issue them with their notice, then before long it will be criminal court he will be finding himself in.

If his first response to a tenant bring up a safety issue is to issue them with their notice, then before long it will be criminal court he will be finding himself in.

If the landlord wants the property back, he has to give notice. At the end of the notice period he then has to apply to a county court for and repossession order and does not have to tell the court the reason for wanting the property back.

Who will prosecute the landlord? Not HSE, not the police.

Thats the point he can continue ignoring the safety issues and noone can do much of anything until someone is ultimately hurt or killed. Far far too many landlords get away with renting accommodation thats not fit to keep pigs in.

in the real world, none of this is going to happen. Nobody will be prosecuted.

Back to the OP, talk to the landlord, discuss your concerns in an friendly manner. It might be helpful if you gently asked when the last time the electrics were checked. Give it a bit a vague bluff saying that you thought it was supposed to be done annually, like gas is, prepare to be corrected on this. It might be all it takes to get him to act!

How many lamps are being fed on the stairs? If it amounts to a couple of low energy lamps, as you landlord for a reduction in rent of say about 30 or 40p per month, that should cover it.

I just went for the original plan, pulled the two main wires out and put blocks on them, then put a blank fascia on the switch. This way I can easily fix it back when I leave.

Not sure about taking the landlord to court etc, he's a nice guy and pretty helpful, which means he's worth his weight in gold round here, even if the wiring is a bit janky! Last house we were in had all those original cloth-covered wires, loads of them had burned bits just covered up with tape etc, but thats just what you get with Student lets...

I just went for the original plan, pulled the two main wires out and put blocks on them, then put a blank fascia on the switch. This way I can easily fix it back when I leave.
So now if someone is hurt because the stairs are not properly lit, who will be held responsible?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back