Disconnected light

Yes, ok, but with all those wires at the switch apparently doing nothing, just thought it was a bit early to be lifting floorboards - although we do know a bit more now.
The OP has checked the "loose ends" and has no continuity, so I suspect a break.

As there is no neutral at the switch and only one twin and earth at the ceiling, there must be a junction box or joint between the two.

UNLESS....one of those cables with their black conductors in connector blocks in the switch back box is a switched feed up to the hall light. But if so, you'd expect continuity on the red between the ceiling and the switch.

Sponsored Links
They're not different Black's the Black's the reds (in the connector block) and the bare earth wire are the same piece of cable, not sure if that makes sense.
Ah I was trying to work out what was going on with the earth

This is the junction box from the ceiling
As expected there thank you
Hopefully a clearer pic of switch
much claerer thanks
I assume you are saying no live testing yet

My next dead test would be: with the power off, disconnect the 2 reds in the connector and make them safe with another connector, example:
1705683111152.png

and then put the power back on and see what doesn't work - this may very well be affecting lights in other rooms.

Is there any chance at all there is another switch, say at the other end of the hall or upstairs or evidence of something plastered over
How many hall lights are/were there?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back