Disconnecting a light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, sorry if this is a bit of a noob question... we just moved into a flat in a block of , and the staircase for the block is exernal. There's lights running up itn- though more than enough light comes off the street - and all of them are connected to our mains, rather than shared out or on a separate supply. To make matters worse there's only 2 switches, one just inside our front door and the other at the bottom, so even if the other flat wanted to turn them off at their front doors they can't.

Turning them off at the switchboard isn't possible since the switch that controls them also controls the internal lights and the plug sockets. But I thought, what if I undo the lightswitch in our house and just disconnect one of the wires? So firstly - will this stop the lights being turned on and using our power, and secondly, is it unsafe just to wrap the disconnected wire in electrical tape and leave it in the socket?

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
firstly, get onto the flat owner.. it's their responsibility to provide communal lighting etc..
secondly, no it's not ok to just leave it taped up in the back of the box.., use a terminal block..
thirdly, there should be more than 1 breaker for the lights and sockets..

Sponsored Links
firstly, get onto the flat owner.. it's their responsibility to provide communal lighting etc..
secondly, no it's not ok to just leave it taped up in the back of the box.., use a terminal block..
thirdly, there should be more than 1 breaker for the lights and sockets..

The flat owner is a bit clueless, nice old boy but it took him a month to get a washer for the bath tap so I thought this would be a lot quicker!

I was pretty surprised as well that there wasn't a separate one for the plugs, some of them are pretty janky too - I reckon he must ahve done them himself. Overall the fusebox is a nightmare, loads of bakelite switches that don't seem to do anything - do you reckon it's dangerous at all having the plus/lights on one breaker?

And with the terminal block should I put one on both wires or just the black one?

cheers, sorry for all the questions :D

just the relevent switch wire.. is it a 2G switch? does it switch any light inside the flat..?

if you have concerns about the state of the wiring, voice them to the owner. If he does nothing about it get a PIR done ( at your own cost ) then present the findings to him to get sorted..
if that fails, report him to whatever governing body the landlords have and move out, you don't want to live in a death trap..

just the relevent switch wire.. is it a 2G switch? does it switch any light inside the flat..?

if you have concerns about the state of the wiring, voice them to the owner. If he does nothing about it get a PIR done ( at your own cost ) then present the findings to him to get sorted..
if that fails, report him to whatever governing body the landlords have and move out, you don't want to live in a death trap..

no only the lights outside, it's one of those circuits where either switch will turn on the lights, so there's one fat cable going into the top, straight out of the breaker (fusebox is on that wall) and then two smaller cables running out through the wall to where the lights (in parallel) and the other switch are wired. I guess I just need to put a block on the end of the fat cable going in yeah? I actually did GCSE electrics, wish I'd listened a bit more :oops: thanks for the info

doubt you did GCSE electrics.. electronics maybe.. ;)
they don't tend to teach school kids how to wire a house..

Au contraire - problem not at all solved.

Smithers - a few points.

1) Why should you be paying for the communal lighting?

2) This staircase is a means of escape from fire in a multi-occupancy dwelling - it must have emergency lighting.

3) What if you're away and the fuse goes? The other residents won't have lighting on the stairs. I know you said that there's street lighting, but is that always satisfactory?

4) What if a problem with the outside lights renders your sockets inoperative?

The whole thing is a mess, and needs to be properly sorted. Speak to your local fire safety officer about it - he'll be very interested.

Au contraire - problem not at all solved.

It solves the problem of OP having power drawn from her meter.

Going to the authorities needs to be seriously considered, landlords have been known to obtain reposession for just threatening to do this.

One immediate solution would be to replace the switches with pnuematic timed switches and remove the two way switching function. That will avoid lights being left on permanently.

The landlord needs to be asked to do something about the matter. At least a formal written agreement to compensate for all costs incurred in supplying electricity to the common area lighting.

The advice about the PIR is good and you should do that and give a copy to the landlord explaining that it is as much to protect his property as to ensure your own safety

If he is in default over safety of installations then any attempt at re-possession out of revenge would be reasonably easy to counter in the court. Keep copies of all conversations and correspondence between you and the landlord.

be careful about going to get a PIR done if you expect to be re-imbursed for the costs. There may well be a clause in your tenancy agreement to the effect that any work on the property should be done only with the landlords consent.

You should address the situation with him though as how many other horrors may be lurking? The landlord has a duty of care to ensure that you are not living in a dangerous place.

It would be awkward to prove that any landlord was attempting to re-possess a house out of anger/revenge. tread carefully. Two months notice can be served without stating any reason other than its his property and he wants it back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back