Disconnecting an oil tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an outdoor, aboveground oil tank for heating the house. We recently had some work done and the tank was moved. Now however, I want to move it back. It's only a meter or so that it needs to shift. I’ve run it down so that it’s almost empty and shouldn’t have any problems lifting it with a few friends.

As far as I can tell, the process should be pretty simple. There are two copper pipes running out of the tank and along to the boiler, which is also outside. I was planning to turn off the boiler, turn the stopcock on the pipes inside the tank, then cut the pipes and stopper them. Then I’ll move the tank and reconnect the pipes with compression fittings. Nice and easy.

I’m no stranger to simple plumbing work, but wanted to double check that there aren’t any issues that I haven’t considered. No harm’s going to come to anything because I let a bit of air into the pipes or anything like that?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
You will need to bleed through to the boiler. Why do you have two pipes? Do they both come out of the bottom or does one go back into the top of the tank? Do you have two appliances?

Contaminate the ground with an oil spill & the sh.t hits the fan!!!
Drain the tank entirely before considering moving it.

Seems you have the old two pipe system where you have a return back to the tank,these were used before tiger loops and were good but you may be better using a tiger loop now and get rid of the second pipe,after all it's another pipe to leak and as my friend sir dick says don't spill oil or else ti can open a big can of worms.By the way when you repipe don't forget to use brass liners in your joints,you get a better seal.Bob

Sponsored Links
Seems you have the old two pipe system where you have a return back to the tank,these were used before tiger loops and were good but you may be better using a tiger loop now and get rid of the second pipe,after all it's another pipe to leak and as my friend sir dick says don't spill oil or else ti can open a big can of worms.By the way when you repipe don't forget to use brass liners in your joints,you get a better seal.Bob
Just one thing you omitted dear boy, it's; 'learned' friend.....
Kindest regards.

May I appologise for omitting that my dear friend and thank you for calling me dear boy it was nice to feel young again.Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back