Distance between meter and proposed CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The distance between a new CU and the existing meter will be more than 2m (probably closer to 5m), do I need a trip/isolator between them?

Sponsored Links
As said, you are allowed up to 3m.

However, I seem to recall there are some exceptions where you can go up to 5m, but I cannot for the life of me remember what they are.

Maybe someone here will know for certain.

The distance between a new CU and the existing meter will be more than 2m (probably closer to 5m), do I need a trip/isolator between them?
Why doesn't the electrician installing the new CU know?

Sponsored Links
I had a new supply cable fitted by the DNO last year (I'm sure I posted details here) as the DNO's fuses were in a cast iron case under our bedroom floor (it's a bungalow) and fitted wardrobes had been built over that part of the floor long before we bought the house and certainly before we were aware of the fuse box! In addition, the cable ran in a rusty old conduit (which served as the earth connection) under the floor for at least 10 metres. If the fuses had blown there would have been the necessity of much furniture removal. Worse than that, the conduit could well have rusted away in places which would mean there would be no earth.

Anyway, back to the matter in hand. This was all replaced with thick armoured 3 phase cable along the same under-floor route and out to a new meter on the outside of the house. This was connected to the underground cable adjacent to the new meter.

I don't know whether the DNO was going to include them, but I did request cut-outs at the meter as well as the CU over 10 metres away. Obviously, my concern was with the possibility of any future repairs being needed, or damage, to the new cable under the floor.

Oh, and there was no charge for the work. You can't say better than that!

I don't think it will be a trip switch, more likely to be a switch fuse - something like a Wylex 110m. Ask your DNO (that's the grid operator, not the energy company) or your sparky- it'll be him who fits it, not the DNO guy or meter installer

Oh, and there was no charge for the work. You can't say better than that!
Good, but actually that cable was entirely the dnos responsibility so they should have replaced it properly. However, in the process of moving the intake outside, they've handed over responsibility to you for that 10m run.
Not a big deal, but a change.

Good, but actually that cable was entirely the dnos responsibility so they should have replaced it properly. However, in the process of moving the intake outside, they've handed over responsibility to you for that 10m run.
Not a big deal, but a change.
That's fair enough. It is pretty solid stuff and I can't see how it could be easily damaged under the floor. Not even the biggest superrat could chew through that.
And the main thing is that it is now safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back