Diverter valve for Vaillant Ecotec 831

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

It appears that the diverter valve on my 6 year old boiler needs replacing. This is not a job I think I would like to do myself. I have spoken to Vaillant who have advised me that it is no longer under warranty and so offered me a service whereby I pay them £300 and they will send somebody out to repair it for me. Cost of all parts would be covered if I pay them over 6 months (although not if I pay in one go for some reason).

I have had a look online and searched this forum for information on diverter valves and I understand Vaillant have updated them since my boiler was made. Would somebody be able to point me in the direction of a retailer that sells a current diverter valve suitable for the ecotec 831 if forum rules allow?

Kind regards,

Hike

Sponsored Links
Why do you think that it needs replacing?

What would you you do with it if you had a diverter valve?

Tony

Hi Agile,

It is leaking. I would like to know what the cost of the part is before deciding between taking Vaillant up on their offer or using another plumber / gas man.

Very roughly about £100.

When I replace them the total cost is usually about £190.

Others may not be such good value.

But it is not a job that I greatly like on that model.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Very roughly about £100. I try to get the brass ones rather than the plastic ones.

When I replace them the total cost is usually about £190.

Others may not be such good value.

But it is not a job that I greatly like on that model.

Tony

Thank you Agile. Any retailer in particular?

I take it is is a fiddly job then?

I find it a rather fiddly job.

I am not going to encourage you to try to do it yourself because for safety reasons you should not even open the room sealed casing. Seems you have already done that!

Tony

Yes, I have already had the case off. When I see water coming from the corner of the casing I want to know what's going on asap. I know enough not to go messing around inside trying to do repairs myself though.

I have been advised to leave the casing off to prevent water from getting to the electronics. Is this poor advice?

Ideally the boiler should be turned off and power disconnected.

Then drain system a little to reduce pressure to zero and stop leaking.

But I see many which have been used for weeks with a leaking diverter valve.

Few enginers would be happy to fit a valve that you had bought.

Tony

Ideally the boiler should be turned off and power disconnected.

Then drain system a little to reduce pressure to zero and stop leaking.

But I see many which have been used for weeks with a leaking diverter valve.

Few enginers would be happy to fit a valve that you had bought.

Tony

So has the advice I have been given poor?

I'm not in a position to have the boiler switched off until such time as someone can come out and repair it.

Last edited:
Can I just check that it is safe to keep the boiler casing off in order to keep the electronic panel clear from the water?? I understand that as Agile has said, that ideally the boiler should be switched off and partially drained in order to stop the leak but I am not in a position to have the boiler out of service at this time. I'd be grateful for any advice.

The boiler should not be operated with the front cover removed.
It should not be used as agile said.

I think agiles price is probably a little on the low side.
The £300 from Vaillant could turn out to be a good deal if you need a pcb as well;)
If it's been leaking a while u could do.

Do you have the £2-300?
Call an engineer and get it done.
If you don't have the cash flow get Vaillant on monthly payments or bg £99 then go on contract.

The job is 30mins if u know what you're doing

The boiler should not be operated with the front cover removed.
It should not be used as agile said.

I think agiles price is probably a little on the low side.
The £300 from Vaillant could turn out to be a good deal if you need a pcb as well;)
If it's been leaking a while u could do.

Do you have the £2-300?
Call an engineer and get it done.
If you don't have the cash flow get Vaillant on monthly payments or bg £99 then go on contract.

The job is 30mins if u know what you're doing

Thanks Phill Peck.

Vaillant actually have a better offer by paying £99 over six months as oppose to paying it all in one go. Pay in instalments and all parts are covered. Pay in one go and only some parts are. Not sure why that is the case but there you go.

I think I will go with them for the reason you stated. I am still concerned about what to do in the mean time. I need this boiler working (which it is) but don't want the electronics getting wet either. It was a gas safe man who told me to keep the cover off. :?:

Thanks again for your reply, it's appreciate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back