DIY Amendment

Someone may know better then me, but from my reading it looks like as long as the total addition to the original roof doesn't exceed 50 cubic metres, you can convert it.
If you're going to do it, better to get that confirmed by someone with professional insurance though!

Sponsored Links
It does not normally require PP to turn an existing hip into a gable, but this exemption would not apply to new build on the first floor.
The hip will be existing as soon as they build it though, although it won't be original, my proposal was to build the planning permission and then continue with the additional if it were pd.
However presumably you are saying that the 50m³ allowance only applies to space within the original walls and behind the plane of the original roof against the principal elevation, rather than being able to extend to any existing but non original walls?

The hip will be existing as soon as they build it though, although it won't be original, my proposal was to build the planning permission and then continue with the additional if it were pd.
Legally that wouldn't work, because the part of the roof you would be converting to a gable would be part of an extension which itself needed PP because it's 2-storey and on the side.
In other words, you would not be building in accordance with the approved plans.
An original hip can be converted to a gable, but not a hip built on a later extension.

Sponsored Links
For the gable...

Submit an non material amendment application (NMA). On the forms in the relevant section note the reason for the change is for design consistency as both the existing building and the rest of the street has gabled roofs and therefore the change is a design improvement. NMA's are only £34, quick, and the council don't have to reconsult with adjacent owners.

They might try to argue it is material change and therefore tell you do do a variation of condition application instead. However these cost £234 and the process is almost the same as planning, therefore instead suggest you are better to do a "free-go" resubmission planning application for free. For this you resubmit the whole application, and on the fee section select the option to make it exempt as a first resubmission. On the section where it asks if you had pre-app or consultation with the council note the already approved scheme and again note the reason for the change being sought.

The reason the NMA is favourable of the free-go is they do not have to consult or notify anyone else.

If they won't give you the NMA that cannot be appealed (I believe it can be judicial reviewed but lets put that aside), but if they refused the gable under the free-go planning submission you could appeal that to the secretary of state (free application), I would expect a win but it takes a few months to go through the process.

As you already have planning for most of what you want annoying the council has little risk as they can't take your planning away, so you could also tell them you intend to appeal if it is refused. Some councils/officers are stubborn, but others like to avoid appeals for statistic purposes and also the time they take on their part.

For the gable...

Submit an non material amendment application (NMA). On the forms in the relevant section note the reason for the change is for design consistency as both the existing building and the rest of the street has gabled roofs and therefore the change is a design improvement. NMA's are only £34, quick, and the council don't have to reconsult with adjacent owners.

They might try to argue it is material change and therefore tell you do do a variation of condition application instead. However these cost £234 and the process is almost the same as planning, therefore instead suggest you are better to do a "free-go" resubmission planning application for free. For this you resubmit the whole application, and on the fee section select the option to make it exempt as a first resubmission. On the section where it asks if you had pre-app or consultation with the council note the already approved scheme and again note the reason for the change being sought.

The reason the NMA is favourable of the free-go is they do not have to consult or notify anyone else.

If they won't give you the NMA that cannot be appealed (I believe it can be judicial reviewed but lets put that aside), but if they refused the gable under the free-go planning submission you could appeal that to the secretary of state (free application), I would expect a win but it takes a few months to go through the process.

As you already have planning for most of what you want annoying the council has little risk as they can't take your planning away, so you could also tell them you intend to appeal if it is refused. Some councils/officers are stubborn, but others like to avoid appeals for statistic purposes and also the time they take on their part.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have already used my free go at a full application to move the 1st floor closer to the front of the main dwelling.

My planning consent technically breaks the councils own policy that states 1st floor extensions should be set in from the side boundary by 1m. They have allowed mine to be set right on the boundary while only making be set the front back 0.5m.

This was only allowed due to using a full hip roof as it maintained a separation between my neighbour.

I really can't see them allowing a gable

Thanks for the suggestion.
This was only allowed due to using a full hip roof as it maintained a separation between my neighbour.

I really can't see them allowing a gable

You could still try the NMA application, or simply submit another planning application it will just cost again.

Strategically you could try an NMA for a half hipped roof, and then if/once approved do another NMA for a full gable.

Do you have a copy of the officer's report - if not it should be online of they should provide on request. It is worth checking the report for mentions of hip and gable and any policy they refer to.I'd be amazed if their policy refers to using hipped roofs to maintain separation, instead its likely to be just some half baked invented policy by the case officer. In reality the case officer should look at both and look at the context of the street and the house conclude the gable is the more appropriate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back