Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all I have a tiny 2 up 2 dawn mid terrace house I want to do a simple attic conversion to add a room. With just a velux window and that's it. Haw hard would this be to carry the work out myself. I want to do this as cheap as possible and want it to be done on the down low if u no what I mean lol

Sponsored Links
To be classified as a habitable room, certain rules must be followed.
Your first floor ceiling won't be strong enough for use as a floor support and fire escape will need to be thought through.
But you could use it as an office.
Depending on what you do, the resale value will be greater or less

I toataly get what your saying. but I just want to add a simple bedroom to the house and nothing special. And of course want it to be safe but want to do it without notifing enyone as it's a council house. Hence on the quiet side. So really just looking for abit of advice.

Ok. If it is a council house then you're breaking your tenancy agreement by carrying out structural alterations. If they find out (when they find out) you will be charged the full cost of restoring the house back to normal.
Someone's going to notice a velux suddenly appearing.

Sponsored Links
Yes I get what your saying. And willing to take that risk.

DSC_0129_1554319989964.jpg
DSC_0128_1554320100411.jpg
DSC_0131_1554320172443.jpg

So an unotharised attic conversion can't be done then no???????

So an unotharised attic conversion can't be done then no???????

You can do what you want and however you want to do it if it’s unauthorised. I’ve done it myself a couple of times but the last time I did it properly with permission and refs.

In your mid terrace i’d be thinking a steel across the front and 1 accross the back right under where the roof touches your shoulder.

8x2 joists running steel to steel.

Chipboard floor on the joists.

Celotex between and under the rafters, plasterboard under that.

Hello e
You can do what you want and however you want to do it if it’s unauthorised. I’ve done it myself a couple of times but the last time I did it properly with permission and refs.

In your mid terrace i’d be thinking a steel across the front and 1 accross the back right under where the roof touches your shoulder.

8x2 joists running steel to steel.

Chipboard floor on the joists.

Celotex between and under the rafters, plasterboard under that.
Hi Ian when you say a steel at back and front right under your shoulder. And then 8x2 front to back from steels am I right saying the new flow will bee at shoulder hight sorry but bit confused lol

And of course want it to be safe but want to do it without notifing enyone as it's a council house.

If it is a council house then you're breaking your tenancy agreement by carrying out structural alterations

Yes that's what I was thinking then a perlin wall to saport the roof off the steels

How will you fix the steels to the party walls ? Could you do this without your two neighbours hearing the bricks in their lofts being drilled or chopped ?.

Breaking you tenancy agreement is not the only action that would be bought against you when the council discover what you have done. OK so maybe they do not discover it until after you have left the house. They will still hold you responsible for the costs of repairing the damage, tracking you down if necessary. It might make it impossible for you to ever have council housing ever again.

Or is this just a wind up post

How will you fix the steels to the party walls ? Could you do this without your two neighbours hearing the bricks in their lofts being drilled or chopped ?.

Breaking you tenancy agreement is not the only action that would be bought against you when the council discover what you have done. OK so maybe they do not discover it until after you have left the house. They will still hold you responsible for the costs of repairing the damage, tracking you down if necessary. It might make it impossible for you to ever have council housing ever again.

Or is this just a wind up post
No not a windup mate. I personally was going to do a timber job. With no steels so no party agreement. And I will be hiding the convention for a few years till can buy it so not looking to go anywhere. I was thinking 8x2s from front wall plate to centrel load bearing wall same from back to centrel load bearing wall. Then overlapped through the middle then bolted and all tied in. The a perlin wall off if new 8x2 floor to support roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back