DIY Bath panel

Me again
If you can imagine that the long edge of the bath is on the same wall as the washbasin and there's some pipes running along the floor between the basin and disappearing under the bath via a cut out in the end panel.
I want to use soffit for new side and end panels, but I also want to box the pipes in , preferably to the same height as the bath so it also hides some of the very obvious pipes running up the wall behind ( but not hidden by) the pedestal.
If you wanted to use the soffit to create a more uniform look rather than ply and paint , how would you recommend
a) fixing it to a frame ?
b) hiding/ making good the right angle join where the front and top meet? ( Can you get right angle plastic beading?)

Is it sturdy enough to be able to glue 2 bits ( the top and the front ) to a 2x2 piece of timber to create the "box" and then just let it rest on a batten fixed to the wall ?

Presumably you'd cut the bath end panel and take it up to the boxing in, rather than the other way round?

Wondering if it would be better to actually box the pedestal sink in too? Realise the boxing would have to stop below the edge of the bowl, a bit like those naff cabinets you can get to fit around pedestal sinks.

Not a lot of money to spend so we're regrouting the tiles , replacing all the old sealant and the manky seal on the bottom of bath shower screen, renewing bath panels and decorating.

Sponsored Links
Post a pic of what you want to cover
I think trying to cover the pedestal will look naff

I would cut enough from the end panel for the pipes and butt the boxing to the end panel. Rather than trying cut the end panel to fit over the boxing.
You might need some flat trim to make the cut ends tidy. Or just a neat bead of silicon.
Right angle UPVC trim is available

Might be worth having a look for a vanity unit on ebay, gumtree, etc to replace your pedestal sink?

Post a pic of what you want to cover
I think trying to cover the pedestal will look naff

I would cut enough from the end panel for the pipes and butt the boxing to the end panel. Rather than trying cut the end panel to fit over the boxing.
You might need some flat trim to make the cut ends tidy. Or just a neat bead of silicon.
Right angle UPVC trim is available

Might be worth having a look for a vanity unit on ebay, gumtree, etc to replace your pedestal sink?
Cheers for the advice.
Thought about replacing sink, but we'd need a plumber and getting them to come and do smaller jobs is a nightmare up here. Might've had a go ourselves, but if anything ever goes wrong in our houses ( not because of things we've done) its water related.

Sponsored Links
There's all sorts of trims available for the hollow pvc bathroom wall planks- think they're same sort of structure as the soffit boards but come in different colours and patterns. This sort of stuff
I had thought about that. The last house we lived in they'd used the wall panelling to make a bath panel, but it wasn't a P bath. I'll take a look.

Photos. The pipes behind the pedestal go down to the floor.
received_3286813788246851.jpeg
received_1898745967136311.jpeg

Doesn't look too bad as is tbh.
I imagined waste pipes, etc half way up the wall.

Try some white pipe covers over them. Might make them 'disappear'

Are the pipes flexible? Look plastic from the pics.
Some trunking skirting board might do the job

Doesn't look too bad as is tbh.
I imagined waste pipes, etc half way up the wall.

Try some white pipe covers over them. Might make them 'disappear'

Are the pipes flexible? Look plastic from the pics.
Some trunking skirting board might do the job
The ones on the floor are easier to deal with. When you're in the shower the ones behind the sink are really noticeable and have decades of gloss paint on them.
You know what it's like once you know something's there

I’d just paint the horizontal pipes to match the skirting. Maybe the same colour for the verticals.
or paint the verticals the same colour as the wall.

Yes, you’ll see them, but you can’t make them disappear no matter what you do.
I can see my basin water supply in front of the tiles and behind the pedestal.
I painted them white but they can’ vanish.

Just sorted one for my nephew, used soffit pvc, its twin walled so ripped the rear every panel to reduce it to single thickness which bends easily.
Lay ply or board over top edge to mark shape of curve , cut this out and fix to floor inline to hold the base of panel and finish with pvc trim to form a skirting. water proof and easily cleaned.
White silicon to seal all gaps.Best of all just £10 for plastic.
View attachment 186486
Hi this looks amazing, could anyone recommend what soffit PVC to use? there seems to be several types and I am not sure how you would remove the backing and connect them together. Any advice would be fab!

Correct, there are 15 cells to that profile so where you need that section to bend you make 15 slits to the rear.
how did you fix the plastic trim along the bottom where the curve is? Pins or glue? We've got some 2 part strong as s... t mitre adhesive but you only get one shot at a job Thinking the trim's flexible but will always want to go back to straight . Thanks

or you can screw and use white screw caps, or a blob of white silicon to hide countersunk screw head.
only requires one each end of curve and on ends.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back