DIY build of two small internal walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I've removed two plywood/glass partitions from my lounge, in favour of replacing them more substantial divides.
Below is the one to the porch; the divide to the kitchen is similar.

I guess I could probably put in studwork and board & skim - but given one of these divides is against the kitchen, I want a more substantial divide for hanging wall cupboards for example.
It's also a good opportunity for some hands-on practice to learn some basic block laying. :D

I can plaster to a reasonable level, so even if the results aren't super-tidy, covering them should be fine (render, float&set or drylining).

From doing a little reading on the building forum, I was thinking as follows -

-Single skin of lightweight/aerated blocks.
-Weak Mortar mix 5 or 6:1, with plasticiser.
- soft sand (not sharp sand).
-wet the blocks before laying (as they have a tendency to suck the moisture from the mortar and reduce the effectiveness).

I've left the existing door frames in, as I thought they may be useful as a guide.

I've a got a couple of questions also -
1) Do I need to lay a DPC strip under the blockwork?
2) I guess I need to tie it in to the existing wall, and was thinking a wall starter would be sufficient? After chipping away the mortar that is a bit lose in places, so it can be fixed to the existing brick.

Any other tips/feedback appreciated whilst I'm still planning!

Sponsored Links
Both walls are now complete, but in the interests of improving my skills for next time.....

I was left with two small gaps at the top of each wall.
On one I was able to insert some slithers of lightweight blocks with mortar either side and fill them reasonably easily.
The other wall had only about 3mm gap at the top, which was a problem and took ages to try to slide mortar in with the trowel. It was no way full, but seem to get enough in and then I slid the trowel tip along to smooth.
Any tips on how to best fill these with mortar for next time?

I realise my gauging was probably not very good with uneven bed thickness, but any tips on what I could do next time would be appreciated.

Thanks.

A bit late now but had you built a stud wall, it may have been possible to board the kitchen side with 18mm ply, affording the kitchen fitter pure bliss regarding hanging wall units.

This would have only been possible if you were utilising virtually the entire wall for base and wall units with a tiled or similar decor finish to the between bit.

We did this but plastered the last 300mm that was showing above the wall units.

Sponsored Links
A bit late now but had you built a stud wall, it may have been possible to board the kitchen side with 18mm ply, affording the kitchen fitter pure bliss regarding hanging wall units.

This would have only been possible if you were utilising virtually the entire wall for base and wall units with a tiled or similar decor finish to the between bit.

We did this but plastered the last 300mm that was showing above the wall units.

Thanks Noseall, it's a good idea. At the time I started I hadn't thought of the ply option. Had figured if I went the stud route, would give the kitchen fitter a tough job. Learnt something new.
I did notice someone posted in the plastering forum recently that they put the ply on the studwork and then plasterboard/skim over the top. I thought that had some merit too for an easier kitchen fitting experience and a uniform skimmed wall.

the kitchen divide wall -
Now I am where I am, I will float & set (at least the kitchen side) and reskim both walls, after stripping the wallpaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back