DIY Course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have got very basic skills DIY and was exploring if there are any good options to learn bit more of DIY.

Can you guide me how to best approach and increase my confidence in DIY.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Basically just decide what DIY task you want to carry out, research it thoroughly and then have a go when you feel confident you can achieve a reasonable finish. You will only get better at something by learning from your mistakes.

thanks I will do some detailed study.

The only reason for a course is that you can try and make mistakes but if i apply it on some DIY work at home I may make a costly mistake.

Sponsored Links

The only reason for a course is that you can try and make mistakes but if i apply it on some DIY work at home I may make a costly mistake.

Got a shed?
Make a mock up for what you want to try, some off cuts of timber to make joints on. A sheet of ply to wall paper on/plaster/wotever.
Plenty of ways to learn for next to nothing.

gr8 thanks good ideas...i have a garage where I can try some bits myself...

& i can always post questions here with pics to get me going..

i have not given DIY a serious thought to make it as my prime earning capability. If i get my confidence up I will like to do plumbing or be a sparky...is it too late for me (34) to think about career change

You might even lose your pinky inky, like paul daniels.

capability. If i get my confidence up I will like to do plumbing or be a sparky...is it too late for me (34) to think about career change
Forget plumbing - I`m 58 and been trying to forget it since I started in 1970 :mrgreen:

Got a shed?
Make a mock up for what you want to try, some off cuts of timber to make joints on. A sheet of ply to wall paper on/plaster/wotever.
Plenty of ways to learn for next to nothing.

with respect Alarm, what a daft suggestion.... should the guy rig up a ring main in the shed so they can practise spurring off it? or whack some wallpaper on the wall so they can practise steaming it off? or maybe rig up a few joists and plasterboard ceiling so they can practise putting in a loft ladder?

my advice to the guy is find a job that needs doing, decide if you fancy giving it a go, learn all you can about it, get the right tools and materials, and give it a go... it can always be put right afterwards...

BUT DON'T TOUCH ELECTRICS OR PLUMBING OR GAS OR STRUCTURAL STUFF !!!

but give it a go !!

Typical half wit interjection.

He can do a variety of things in his shed.
Always doom gloom and negativity with you.

Nothing wrong with electrics or plumbing either. I certainly suggest Gas is a No No.

Your trying to sneak in an extension are you not? And calling it a bit of window expansion :mrgreen:

Typical half wit interjection.

He can do a variety of things in his shed.
Always doom gloom and negativity with you.

Nothing wrong with electrics or plumbing either. I certainly suggest Gas is a No No.

Your trying to sneak in an extension are you not? And calling it a bit of window expansion :mrgreen:

lol... i'm not a half wit Alarm, not by a long way !!! so keep your insults and lets try to help this guy...

Your suggestion was to mock things up to practise on... a basic DIYer would struggle to mock things up....

I say go for the basics and give it a go... (BUT I MAINTAIN AVOID ELECTRICS OR PLUMBING OR GAS OR STRUCTURAL whilst you're a basic diyer)

(oh and keep the boards separate from GD if you don't mind Alarm :evil: )

what a daft suggestion.

Is how you started this off. So i`ll keep to my opening statement previously.

a basic DIYer would struggle to mock things up.

But he could be trying and not damage anything. Or did that bit slip past you?

You purchased the forum too now?
It was a DIY reference, you asked in DIY did you not?
So I dont mind, not in the slightest.

Sponsored Links
Back