DIY gas thread - I'm confused

Well how long is the full monty? The ACS courses I've seen are thousands pounds but only 5 days. And you come out a course cowboy and a shiny card to work on someone elses supply for money.

Also how long does it take to learn how to check a system for tightness and how to use an FGA? Not long.

Sponsored Links
Well how long is the full monty? The ACS courses I've seen are thousands pounds but only 5 days. And you come out a course cowboy and a shiny card to work on someone elses supply for money.
Longer than 5 days I can assure you. My apprenticeship was 4 years, but 2 was Plumbing. I don’t think the 5 day courses should be allowed.
Also how long does it take to learn how to check a system for tightness and how to use an FGA? Not long.
So, you’re saying that a tightness test and using an fga is deemed acceptable to work on gas pipes, fittings and installations? Including the unsafe situations procedure.

No you're right - a lot depends on what you are doing. If you can do the letby on the meter and tighntess test you know how to use your manometer so can measure pressure. MIs on a boiler for example, will spell out what the different pressures should be.

But in any case, none of this is a secret anymore - its all out the on youtube which is a good thing as someone determined will do it and its better that they follow the rules to the letter than bodge it. Thats how sparks work. Nothing is secret and all can be discussed. In fact a lot of stuff is allowed DIY even though its absolutely lethal if done wrong.

Perhaps gas could move to a mode like that. If you just want to change your cooker then tightness is the main one if like for like (I think - you're the engineer).

Last point, I think some sparks and some GS think that it belittles their trade if any Joe Bloggs is allowed to do stuff on their own installation. I can only speak for myself when I say nothing is further from the truth - I have the upmost respect for any engineer of any kind who is good at his trade or profession. I certainly do not believe his craft can be learned on a 1 day course!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Yes, tightness test would be the main one and following the mi’s. Making sure the pipe size is correct, from the meter and is capable under normal operating conditions. I’m all for people doing their own stuff. What really gets my goat is when people think it’s just a bayonet connection to plug in, or similar without actually knowing consequences.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back