DIY gas

if you drive the van to work without incident you are a competent driver. However if you have a bump you should be forced to re-take your test, because clearly you are not competent. :mrgreen:

That should get half the cars of the road.

Sponsored Links
if you drive the van to work without incident you are a competent driver. However if you have a bump you should be forced to re-take your test, because clearly you are not competent. :mrgreen:

That should get half the cars of the road.

In the case of vans with Gas Safe stickers, I think that's quite sensible; half the cars are taken off the road by Gas Safe vans. The motor repair trade would be decimated if this lucrative source of work was stopped.

Taking your example, passing the test show the driver is capable of driving safely. Bumping into a stationary object (no other driver) would suggest that they had been negligent. Becoming competent starts with the test and takes some years of practice.

Typically as the Local Case going on at the moment.

Persons are killed from Carbon Monoxide, and the man in Court, An RGI or supposedly competent person.

When have you read or heard about an illegal or DIYer with the same rap sheet. Happens time and time again and always an RGI that was/is a class of person.

Are DIYers and illegal workers more careful because they don't want to get caught, and in which case are you safer employing them.

Sponsored Links
Are DIYers and illegal workers more careful because they don't want to get caught, and in which case are you safer employing them.
Well there may be an element of that. Certainly, if I were to completely hypothetically do some work in a situation where the regs apply, then I'd be extra careful about making sure it was safe when I'd finished. Not that I'd ever feel the need to put right sloppy work done by gas safe registered technicians bodging (oops, I mean repairing) a boiler :rolleyes:

On the other hand, gas is so universally known by the population at large as being "dangerous", and Corgi (as some people still refer to when meaning Gas Safe) is so universally known about, that I imagine it's a lot harder for a non-registered person to get much work. On that basis, there's probably a small proportion of appliances/installation worked on by non-registered people - and that means that even if they had the same or a higher "failure" rate, they would account for only a small proportion of "failures".

Contrast with electrics where there isn't such a universally applicable scheme, and "everyone knows" that electrics are simple and easy - so lots of people meddle without really knowing what they are doing.

EDIT:
And of course, an RGI will have put him name to any work (good or bad). In the case of BIY, there may be no evidence of who was responsible.

Raden has a financial interest regards DIYers working on gas appliance. :p

Not particularly

You, however, have an interest in keeping a closed shop, don't you

An argument which is not relevant to the point that safety and competence are not one and the same thing - however you want to dress it up

I would suggest that many DIYers could conduct a repair in an acceptable way, and therefore it is not illegal for them to work on a boiler.
It would be for others to prove their incompetence, not for them to prove their competance.

Equally, presumably, anyone should drive without any training or driving test until they have an accident?

Raden has a financial interest regards DIYers working on gas appliance. :p

Not particularly

You, however, have an interest in keeping a closed shop, don't you

An argument which is not relevant to the point that safety and competence are not one and the same thing - however you want to dress it up

You supply fans/boards yes? , I'll say no more.

Equally, presumably, anyone should drive without any training or driving test until they have an accident?

Lots do and it's perfectly legal, providing they just do it on their own property. It doesn't demonstrate their competence or incompetence. When they've taken their test, they can then legally take to the public roads. Lewis Hamilton was racing Formula Renault at 16. Was he a competent driver?

With gas, a DIYer couldn't undertake the tests because Corgi prevented them taking the tests. Does their inability to undertake the tests prove they are incompetent (as the sticky suggests)? Or does it prove that they can't undertake the tests?

I would suggest that many DIYers could conduct a repair in an acceptable way, and therefore it is not illegal for them to work on a boiler.
It would be for others to prove their incompetence, not for them to prove their competance.

Tony, get your head round the difference between being SAFE and being COMPETENT

For example ...

the fitter who isn't competent who changes the pcb and then once he is back on safe territory will find the real source of the problem and fix the boiler

He has been SAFE but he hasn't been COMPETENT. He has charged the customer for a pcb that he didn't need because he didn't initially diagnose the fault

Don't tell me that this doesn't happen regularly

Impossible to answer raden, but would put money on the table, that at least 50% of breakdowns, get at least one part that didn't need changing.

Perhaps you could say how many duff PCB's you get in with nothing wrong with them.

Raden

Your right boards do get missed diagnosed as you have done this week on anthor thread, not very compotent are you for someone who is meant to be a pro regards pcb`s

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back