diy oak table

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - i've got some solid planks from an oak tree - and i'm now starting to think about making a rustic oak kitchen table. I've sawn the planks down so they are 7 inches wide. The problem is they are 2inches think and slightly warped. Once attached to a table frame my idea is to hire a belt sander and sand the top smooth in a shabby rustic way.

I'm just wondering if anyone has got any suggestions as to the issue with the warped planks not sitting flush on the table frame.

Cheers

CB

Sponsored Links
you need to get them flat
when you say twisted do you mean cupping [a curve along the length side to side]
bowing [looking like a archers bow]
or twisting [like a propeller]
if its cupping rip down the middle and reverse one half [alternating grain up and grain down

I think I would sweetheart a timber supplier who has a planer / thicknesser and then biscuit join the planks together....unless its seasoned wood its going to be on the move though.
John :)

As John says, unless the wood is properly seasoned it'll move. It needs to have been under cover but where air can circulate "in stick" (stacked with pieces of batten between the boards every 500mm or so to allow air to circulate) for at least 3 years, and preferably longer.
Assuming it is seasoned then I'd also go with the suggestion to find somebody with a planer thicknesser.
English oak is a great timber, it's expensive to buy, and is well worth spending the time on doing a decent job.

Sponsored Links
I made an oak coffee table from large dimension timber, has shrunk over 20mm in width over the last couple of years.So needs lots of time to season.

Cheers for the replies everyone - it is 'twisted' slightly. It has been seasoned for several years.

I am planning on biscuit joining the planks together. My next question is what glue do you recomend to use when biscuit joining ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back