DIY servicing of combi boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ariston Eurocombi in my flat, it was installed before I bought the place. It works great and I don't have any problems with it.

Problem is it's installed sideways on in a cupboard and it's a bit of a tight squeeze to get to it. I had a bloke round to service it and he refused to do the work, said there wasn't enough space. I did try another firm, same story.

The question is, should I attempt to service it myself, or just wait till it breaks down? I've gone through the manual and stuff and figured out how to do most of the servicing in the instructions. I just don't know how important it is as it seems these things know how to complain when something breaks. I mean checking all the gas pressures and stuff seems fairly straightforward, but I'm happy with the way the thing works at the moment.

Any views on this greatefully received.

Sponsored Links
What do these guys want? Jam on it? :evil:

Chat around and see if you can get someone to recommend somebody. I do oil, but I suspect some parts of the service demand you are corgi registered. The insurance is a problem without registration, though you could perhaps do the heat ezchanger cleaning etc. Other guys here do gas and can give better advice.

surely servicing your own boiler would be like saying "i am a knife thrower, i have read the book it looks easy, would you like to be my assitant?"

you may competant but as its gas my advice is don't touch it. you have to be CORGI registered to work on any gas appliance. why not do as i did. i have british gas look after mine, got a 3 star service contract, boiler goes wrong call bg.

we took the contract with bg as several other "heating engineers" could never get it right. Bg did

oilman said:
What do these guys want? Jam on it? :evil:

Believe me I've seen people build cupboards so close round these boilers there isn't enough room to take the cover off let alone service it!

Servicing is bread and butter money so if two engineers both say they can't get in there must be some good reason behind it......and no don't try it yourself there are (or should be) many more checks than the manual outlines and how could you be sure you could positively identify a potentially dangerous situation?

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
why not do as i did. i have british gas look after mine, got a 3 star service contract, boiler goes wrong call bg.

breezer...good advice but chris may still have the problem that bg won't offer him the 3 star service due to the boiler being inaccessible

goog point, guess its bye bye cupboard then. or perhaps chrisn could put magnets on it and say its a high level fridge

Believe me I've seen people build cupboards so close round these boilers there isn't enough room to take the cover off let alone service it!

I come across this sort of thing too, but rather than refuse to do it (people want solutions) I,ll discuss the problem and agree to charge according to the work needed to do the job.

I've just had to do a top access boiler under a granite worktop within 1 inch of the top of the boiler. And I've had all of the baffles out :D

of course oilman....sorry sounds very patronising but as you know yourself lots of people booked up with servicing work aren't going to start dismantling cupboards and suchlike, unfortunately these days for most time is money and guys putting themselves out a bit are few and far between......shame but true.

I think the best thing all round would be for chris to somehow shift the cupboard!!

Thank you all for your replies, very much appreciated.

Looks like Diy servicing is out. I'll get on the phone tomorrow and find someone willing to do the work. Think I'll start with British Gas.

Moving the cupboard is unfortunately not an option as it's made of brick and is a supporting wall (I'm in a basement flat).

Chris

I think the best thing all round would be for chris to somehow shift the cupboard!!

Definitely agree with this. Maintenance is too often forgotten during installation.

unfortunately these days for most time is money and guys putting themselves out a bit are few and far between.....

If service guys are self employed and not prepared to put themselves out, they are just after the easy bits and from some of what I've seen they don't even do that properly. If they are employed by a firm, they have other problems to suffer from, and so have a legitimate excuse.

maintenance should not be forget as it is allowed for in the installation and use manual and we all know what happens if you dont follow that dont we

What have the engineers who have attended recommended???

BG will (should) crab it too.
Main common service/repair items are cleaning things, and repairing the diverter valve - on the right.
Don't try it yourself. If you're not used to them you can eg leave the case a bit loose, which would be dangerous.
If it goes wrong the boiler may have to come out to be mended - wouldn't be the first one. It went in so...
It's an illegal instalation if you read the regs. Also it's illegal for you to do anything describable as "work" on it!

corgiman said:
maintenance should not be forget as it is allowed for in the installation and use manual and we all know what happens if you dont follow that dont we

What have the engineers who have attended recommended???

The guy who came round reckoned I could either splurge out on a brand new boiler, or just wait until the existing one packs in and then splurge out on a new boiler.

The other firm didn't come out, but have been out previously (for the previous owner) and refused to do the work.

Rather surprisingly, neither of them really raised an eyebrow when I suggested I do the work myself.

"Rather surprisingly, neither of them really raised an eyebrow when I suggested I do the work myself"

they wouldn't would they, its a job they don't want and it not THEIR problem if YOU get blown up

if thats the reaction your getting may be worth thinking about getting a new boiler mate as you could seriously endanger yourself and you family by mucking around in your present one. Unless you are willing to do a two year course and learn the trade please dont touch it

Breezer is spot on neither firm wanted the job so who will when it breaks down as the inside of a gas boiler is not a place for even the most gifted DIY'er

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back