Diy stairs anyone ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting pretty annoyed.

Ive had atleast 3/4 trades men out to quote me however none of them are really intrested in the job.

Some history i had had a part loft conversion done and in between that time and now decided to moce tge stairs.

Structual engineeir has cleared it and bco have no issues.

Does any have any links on guides how i can diy stairs.

Its not a simple set..
2 straight stairs, into a 6 winder then 3 straight stairs into a landing and tbe kne straight stair.

Ideas ?

Sponsored Links
SE and BCO have cleared what, the new position for the stairs?
Has a drawing for the stairs been submitted - its doubtful that a DIY'er would be allowed to do this under Blg Regs only?
My opinion would be: dont even think about doing a flight of stairs - esp a winder with a landing.

Get hold of a book called 'Simply Stairs' by Mark Milner. He teaches chippies how to to them I believe.

Sponsored Links
a router
a couple off gouges
mortice chisel
chop saw
purpose made tread jig for routering the string
dead easy:D

purpose made tread jig for routering the string
dead easy:D
And what about the winder? Straights are easy peasy - winders tend to be more awkward, especially because they need to be assembled in situ.....

I've made straight stairs using a routing jig and it was dead easy, but I created the winder at the bottom using a series of box sections. My partner wants a loft extension, and one of the local stair companies quoted me £350 for the parts if I were doing the assembly, so it might be worthwhile seeing if the can just make the strings for you - just give them all the dimensions, and the computer does the rest. I used ready cut window board for the stair treads, and 3/4" pine for the risers, but I'd very rout my own treads use MDF for the risers next time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back