DIY Work On Gas Installations

curlydon

AndQuote:
Well I just fitted my gas fire. Put a match to all the joints. Im still here. So wasnt I lucky.
That was writen to be funny, I got my wife to do it really.

Sponsored Links
at the end of the day it is ILLEGAL to do any gas work unless you are CORGI , it is also illegal to employ anyone to work for you on gas , you as the houseowner are as responsable as anyone you employ as to the building regs, your next door nieghbour can report you for working on gas , he would be within his rights cos if you blow your house up , chances are that you;ll blow him up to. It does look easy , till you kill somone then it's hard....hard effing luck
:evil:

at the end of the day it is ILLEGAL to do any gas work unless you are CORGI

No it's not, please check your facts before scaremongering.

Competancy is required but this does not require CORGI registration and anyone who says otherwise is probably ... A CORGI registered gas installer.

Would you, by any chance, happen to be a registered CORGI gas installer?

Corgi would tell you that only corgi registered people are competent if you phoned them to ask, but many people believe that if they have passed ACS but are not corgi registered that they can prove competence. If those people are competent (and I am not saying that they are) they can work on their own gas appliances but not on anyone elses. To work on someone elses appliance you must be a member of a certain class of persons. At the moment the only class of persons permitted to work on other peoples' gas are registered with corgi. Another organisation may one day also or instead hold this position.

It is fun to joke about matches but in a thread where you are trying to elicit serious responses from us gas fitters to help you continue doing gas work it would be wiser not to mix sensible statements with dry jokes, because the very diy'ers you purpose to help could be mislead by your good self.

Only a short few months ago in our in house magazine an example of someone being struck off the register included in one of the reasons that he had endangered the public by using a match to check for leaks; he actually went to jail for said act. So please don't copy that out dated and now dissallowed practice. One xample a a little knowledge, and no I don't dislike that saying, it is cock on in this discussion.

Sponsored Links
It's not illegal to do gas work in your own house or someone elses unless you accept payment, if it's a brothel and you get a blowjob you broke the law, she only got a tip by the sound of most of the people on this posting.

But if you are in a trade that does work in peoples homes you won't get away with saying you didnt charge or you were doing it for a mate, and surely you still have to prove competence even in your own home.

Similarly on the electric side, you always had to prove competence, and if you did work in someone elses home you had to put various tests on the system so would have needed the test gear we now realise we do have to have for electrical work.

I was not amused at having to pay 750 pluys for electrical training 600 for good test gear a weeks loss of earnings 3 days wages to the guy I couldn't find a suitable job to do while I was away and I yet have to pay niceic 400 and still have to find 2 perfect jobs I dare show the inspector before I'm qualified to do electrical work nowadays. BUT despight all that (and I fail to see how I'm gong to recoup it from the customer in Scarborough, maybe you London guys can just bob every price up, we have to compete with part time waiters and cheffs, they're all tradesmen over the winter) I now bring on the part p situation with a cheer. The quality of electrical work in homes round here needs lifting out of the dark ages.

No, only competent registered people in the trade can work in peoples houses for money or for free, total twwaatts can do their own gas work in their own home or friends or relatives as long as it's for free.

As far as part p goes, if it's policed the same as corgi illegal work and part l regs nobody is checking.

I don't think anyone would disagree with the need to be competant in both gas and electrics (plumbing also if you can't swim) but the fact is that, until the law says otherwise, DIY'ers are able to work on their own gas and electrical installations. PartP, though not perfect by any means, does go some way to ensuring the safety of DIY electrical installations (provided the DIY'er uses the notification/LABC testing mechanism).
To tell people who could be competant that they must get a CORGI gas fitter to connect their new cooker hose is not going to work or be policeable.
Neither is attempting to scare DIY'ers by telling them that they are breaking the law when they aren't or that their house insurance won't be valid when they blow up half the street. Remember, many of the people who underatke this work believe themselves to be competant and many of them may be.
On the basis that people will carry out their own gas work irrespective of CORGI, in order to improve safety for those of us who live near them the law needs to be changed to ensure there is a mechanism to certify such work without requiring a relatively expensive tradesman to carry out all of the work IMHO.

esra_ptrap said:
I don't think anyone would disagree with the need to be competant in both gas and electrics (plumbing also if you can't swim) but the fact is that, until the law says otherwise, DIY'ers are able to work on their own gas and electrical installations. PartP, though not perfect by any means, does go some way to ensuring the safety of DIY electrical installations (provided the DIY'er uses the notification/LABC testing mechanism).
To tell people who could be competant that they must get a CORGI gas fitter to connect their new cooker hose is not going to work or be policeable.
Neither is attempting to scare DIY'ers by telling them that they are breaking the law when they aren't or that their house insurance won't be valid when they blow up half the street. Remember, many of the people who underatke this work believe themselves to be competant and many of them may be.
On the basis that people will carry out their own gas work irrespective of CORGI, in order to improve safety for those of us who live near them the law needs to be changed to ensure there is a mechanism to certify such work without requiring a relatively expensive tradesman to carry out all of the work IMHO.

And if you do blow up your house or kill friends and family through co poisoning do you think the hse not to mention your house insurance will be satisfied that you were competant because you said so?. You must be competant to work on gas full stop and you must be a registered class of person to work on gas for gain. The proof of competance is the ACS exams (or equivilent). Also with regard to the policing of gas installations, it will be difficult, but with the homesellers packs looming DIY gas work will be pointless when you compare the price of having it done legally against the devaluation of your home.

esra_ptrap the problem with doing your own work and getting someone to certify it is this.

During the normal course of our work 90% of homes we come across gas work which isn't right, mostly minor and fitted by registered installers, some minor may be fitted by unregistered people, but some very dangerous situations which we class as Imediately Dangerous meaning we cap off the appliance and if you don't let us the moment we step out of the door a quick call to emergency service provider and you are cut off altogether. If you don't comply they did up the road to cut you off more permanently and charge you for reconnection later.

This is workaday stuff. We're tripping up over dangerously spilling open flued appliances, and minor gas leaks ad nausius. They don't usually cause any harm but people won't be in a healthy environment, and there is a potential for death by Carbon Monoxide or explosion.

Why I say all this is to show you how badly many installations have been installed or have become through lack of or poor servicing.

When we are asked to commission something this is often what we find, so we find ourselves with a whole load of work to do to put it right.

Therefore most of us have given up commissioning other peoples work, and it isn't quick to do so it can't be cheap.

Although the thread has provided some interesting reading I'm not sure anyone has addressed my initial question but thanks all for your input.

Regarding ...

but with the homesellers packs looming DIY gas work will be pointless when you compare the price of having it done legally against the devaluation of your home.

Oh Pleeeeease, next time your mother ship comes calling Ollski, jump aboard and hitch a ride home :LOL: by the time the homesellers package has become anything worthwhile everyone currently contributing here will have long since retired!

megawatt said:
Although the thread has provided some interesting reading I'm not sure anyone has addressed my initial question but thanks all for your input.

Regarding ...

but with the homesellers packs looming DIY gas work will be pointless when you compare the price of having it done legally against the devaluation of your home.

Oh Pleeeeease, next time your mother ship comes calling Ollski, jump aboard and hitch a ride home :LOL: by the time the homesellers package has become anything worthwhile everyone currently contributing here will have long since retired!

In what way?, the homesellers pack comes in in 2007 and as far as i am aware it isn't voluntary so why is it worthless?. These things are being introduced wheather you like it or not, it was only a couple of years ago everyone was ridiculing the idea of part p and condensing boilers.

This government has introduced many things whether we liked them or (more generally not).
Like all such things it makes perfect sense moving forwards for new builds etc but how on earth will this ever make any sense at all for the 99.9% of installations which were implemented prior to such things as PartP and CORGI?
Just another revenue generating exercise I reckon which adds to the already ridiculously high cost of moving home.
As I said, irrespective of when it comes in and what it turns out to be, it will not be anything worthwhile before I'm past the point of caring :LOL:

Are you suggesting people are not now ridiculing the idea of PartP ;)

Part P is established, many of us professionals have taken the bull by the horns at our great cost, the rest will follow.

Energy efficiency, in respect of domestic boilers in the UK, is established, many of us professionals have taken the bull by the horns at our great cost, the rest will follow.

It's now time to realise there is some catching up to do, non compliant installers will soon be treding in cow poo.

I don't agree with our contribution to Kyoto but I have enough sense to conform.

I do agree with part P, because electrical installations that I come across are in a very poor condition and demonstrate very poor workmanship.

I do not agree with diy gas work for the same reason as the Part P situation.

I am not seeing any greater contribution to fixed costs and overheads due to the above two, just greater fixed costs and overheads. When the cowboys (non complient installers) finally come into line, maybe I shall see a reward, but it doesn't matter, the rules are now upon us, we ought to comply even if it is to our cost. Or we might aswell go back to mud huts.

As part of the home condition report the home inspector will be required to rate the gas installation either 1, 2 or 3 ... 1 = no repair is currently required.. 2 repairs are required but not considered urgent. 3 there are defects of a serious nature requiring urgent repairs. ..Obviously most home inspectors would not be competent to make these judgments and so will look for a current/relevant gas certificate at the premises... If there is no certificate the inspector will recommend that a CORGI registered contractor be instructed to check and test and issue a certificate. Obviously if the installation does not meet the regulations then it will need to be rectified accordingly. So the DIY installation of gas will certainly be flagged on houses that are put on the market in 2007 and also during the "voluntary trials in 2006. Which from a health and safecty aspect will be a good thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back