dno live working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Today I was waiting and chatting to the dno guy whilst he connected a supply to a outside cabinet for me I was more than surprised as he collected his kit and said " thats you mate all ready to go " I looked in the box and to my surprise the little red meter light was on is this normal for these guys, :?:
Dev

Sponsored Links
Yep. They're well trained and well paid for that very reason.

Although they normally work as a pair in case something does go wrong - must be the credit crunch... :rolleyes:

He was using single concentric it must come in a way you can strip the centre core without touching the neutral wrap wish I had got there earlier
Dev

Sponsored Links
I would imagine that its actually safer doing the HV lines than it is changing an LV cutout.

its the boys that work live on HV overheads that are mad!

I'm sure they don't in this country. They switch them live, or put up new poles with the temporary orange insulators on but I don't think they approach live HV cables.
I know abroad they get dropped on to live lines by chopper to inspect but it's not done here AFAIK. The pylons do get painted one side at a time so one circuit can be isolated and earthed down.

id rather change a cut out live than a 11kv transformer live, fault levels on HV networks are huge

i've watched a guy change a 11kv-415v tx live it was interesting! im not sure if any dno is working live on HV cables yet but with the wrapped singles stuff they have started using (name of which escapes me) it is only a matter of time i expect

watched 2 joints done in the past month. Both came as a team of 2. Cleaned supply cable in first case, cut with a saw, used large brass connectors, heat shrink. fitted service head to split con first.

Second job similar approach but used a rsin filled joint instead.

Both worked extremely carefully, first lads wore flashover suits the second work trousers and fleeces!!!!

Either way nice lads to talk to and both left me the old cable to pull out, total of 20m of PILC to weigh in

i've watched a guy change a 11kv-415v tx live it was interesting! im not sure if any dno is working live on HV cables yet but with the wrapped singles stuff they have started using (name of which escapes me) it is only a matter of time i expect

IIRC it's called ABC, stands for Aerial Bunched Cable. Three insulated singles twisted together if that's the stuff you are on about.

400kV live line working was developed byt he CEGB (Central Electricity Generating Board = forerunner to National Grid) in the 60's!

Got to be mad to even consider it though.

I once came across a group of travellers that had invaded my company's land and connected to a 11kV o/head line to power up their caravans!Crocodile clips and a cheap transformer IIRC.

400kV live line working was developed byt he CEGB (Central Electricity Generating Board = forerunner to National Grid) in the 60's!

Got to be mad to even consider it though..
Why?

I'd bet what's left of my pension that it was safer than digging up the coal they used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back