DNO Needed

Sponsored Links
you say before the meter, but check thats the supplers meter and not a private meter, pics might be usefull, and where does supply to that box come from?

Not really sure why I posted this, because I know the answer. well to the fuse pulling bit.

The supply is from the street so it's not a private meter

I would be interested though on if any DNO guys think the VIR cable in the trunking is an issue, the previous electrician did not think so as a new switch fuse is in place for one of the flats.
I am dealing with a different flat, and will want to run new tails. I am concerned that this might damage the old tails in the trunking
Are they as vunerable as VIR cables for general wiring I am unsure of their stability.

If out of interest if this was considered a private supply and it has old fuses that had to be pulled to remove power. What would be the guidance there.

Sponsored Links
Where are the meters?

Is this one of the installs where you have all the fuses where the cable comes in 'from the street', and then the DNO have run tails from there is trunk/conduit to meters in each flat?

If so, it is not your concern to upgrade the tails between the fuses and meter. It is the DNO, and it is upto them to consider if they are adequately sized and suitable for continued use.

Think you need to explain a little about where things are etc.

Not really sure why I posted this, because I know the answer. well to the fuse pulling bit. The supply is from the street so it's not a private meter ... the previous electrician did not think so ... I am dealing with a different flat, and will want to run new tails....
Out of curiosity ... all of this post from you makes it sound as if you were the OP in this thread, but you have a different identity - are there two of you in this forum, perhaps?:)

Kind Regards, John

Has john caught someone with a double identity?

Time for some investigation into IP adresses etc.

Has john caught someone with a double identity? Time for some investigation into IP adresses etc.
There isn't (well, at least didn't used to be!) any IP checking when one joins - AFAIAA, if one wants multiple forum identities, all one needs is to have multiple e-mail addresses with which to register - and many/most of us have that. In any event, even if that were a problem, I could offer you multiple IP addresses :)

Kind Regards, John

Has john caught someone with a double identity? Time for some investigation into IP adresses etc.
There isn't (well, at least didn't used to be!) any IP checking when one joins - AFAIAA, if one wants multiple forum identities, all one needs is to have multiple e-mail addresses with which to register - and many/most of us have that. In any event, even if that were a problem, I could offer you multiple IP addresses :)

Kind Regards, John

No, and there would be no point using an IP address during registration, as most have dynamic IPs which change everytime your router reboots.

Every post on the forum will have an IP address logged against it, visible to admins (and usually mods too). This means that if Dimmer and Studentspark posted the two posts from the same PC (or home), the IP would more than likely be the same.

However, one post could be from home, and one from work. Two seperate IP's then.

Goto google and type "whats my ip" - Your IP as it is at the moment will be displayed, and this same IP will be logged by the forum when you post.

have to say without sounding funny, so I apologise... but even for a trainy electrician who should either be currently studying, or under the supervision of a qualified electrician as an apprentice.

the questions being asked, seem to be bordering more DIY and a lack of knowledge about what they are supposed to be training in.

Im all for asking when unsure, I do it myself sometimes and its better to do things properly and if you don't know how.. find out.

If this is somebody elses house, and they are a trainy as they previously stated.. they should be under the supervision of a fully qualified spark? who should be advising what to do.

In a light mood!!
but even for a trainy electrician
I originally read that as tranny!! A fancy dress sparks! I'm sure you meant trainee.
But electricians should know that you "shouldnt" normally be pulling fuses on service heads.. thats why they have a seal.
Hmmm! Everywhere I've ever worked I've always had to phone the supplier to replace the seals broken by who knows who!!

In a light mood!!
but even for a trainy electrician
I originally read that as tranny!! A fancy dress sparks! I'm sure you meant trainee.
But electricians should know that you "shouldnt" normally be pulling fuses on service heads.. thats why they have a seal.
Hmmm! Everywhere I've ever worked I've always had to phone the supplier to replace the seals broken by who knows who!!

Probably the original poster lol

No, and there would be no point using an IP address during registration, as most have dynamic IPs which change everytime your router reboots. Every post on the forum will have an IP address logged against it, visible to admins (and usually mods too). This means that if Dimmer and Studentspark posted the two posts from the same PC (or home), the IP would more than likely be the same. However, one post could be from home, and one from work. Two seperate IP's then.
Indeed. In fact, when I'm at home and using my primary connection, I have a static IP, but I also post messages to the forum from all over the country (and, sometimes, world), using whatever connection is available, so my forum messages will come from quite a few different IPs. However, more to the point in terms of how this started, a good few people have access to my computers and internet connection at home, so if any other the others had an interest in this forum, they might legitimately join whilst having the same IP that I'm known to use - so it would not be a very good method of avoiding people having multiple memberships/identities in the forum (without denying membership to some legitimate users).
Goto google and type "whats my ip" - Your IP as it is at the moment will be displayed, and this same IP will be logged by the forum when you post.
Indeed, but I don't need to do any googlong, because I'm at home at the moment and know what my static IP is :)

Kind Regards, John

...even for a trainy electrician who should either be currently studying, or under the supervision of a qualified electrician as an apprentice the questions being asked, seem to be bordering more DIY and a lack of knowledge about what they are supposed to be training in.
I have to agree - but we seem to see a lot of this, and it's impossible to know whether we are always being told the truth!

Kind Regards, John

Because if they are still a trainy I think that their supervising electrician should be advising them on what they can and cant do, because they as the qualified one are responsible for the work and signing it off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back