Do I have ventilated Eaves and Insulation Query?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently topped up the insulation in my loft area.

I added insulation up to the edge of the plasterboard ceiling (none in the eaves). I made sure there was a gap between the insulations and the roofing felt

Given the construction of my roof/eaves is it possible to tell whether I have done the right thing?

Some posters questioned whether I have ventilated eaves. I am not certain.

The part I have labelled A is made of plastic and quite floppy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211026-090703~3.png
    Screenshot_20211026-090703~3.png
    557.7 KB · Views: 77
Sponsored Links
Can't tell from that photo. Ventilation is often over the top of the fascia - obscured by the gutter - otherwise through the soffit (the underside) which isn't visible in your photo. Are there any vents in the soffit?

Can't tell from that photo. Ventilation is often over the top of the fascia - obscured by the gutter - otherwise through the soffit (the underside) which isn't visible in your photo. Are there any vents in the soffit?
No there are no vents in the soffit

My soffit look exactly like the attached image

House was constructed in the 60s and it has cavity wall (no insulation)

Interestingly, my neighbour, has replaced their soffit (which was identical to mine) with ones with vents

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211101-121207~2.png
    Screenshot_20211101-121207~2.png
    325.7 KB · Views: 61
What sort of membrane in the loft? Does it look like fine fabric mesh or solid bitumen type material?

Sponsored Links
What sort of membrane in the loft? Does it look like fine fabric mesh or solid bitumen type material?
Solid bitumen

If you can't see any vents then you don't have vented eaves
So I don't have vented eaves

So Woody do I insulate up to the ceiling plasterboard

Or do I need to push the insulation further into the eaves?

So I don't have vented eaves
Probably not. The only other option could be over fascia vents but your roof sounds original and would be too early for that. Vents might have been removed when the plastic fascia was installed. If there are any neighbouring houses with original facias left, check and see if they have any vents visible?

There may be some adventitious ventilation from air-leaky soffits, but not a lot, so can normally be insulated with no gap

There may be some adventitious ventilation from air-leaky soffits, but not a lot, so can normally be insulated with no gap
So then I have made mistake by insulating up the the plasterboard ceiling below.

I need to stuff insulation in the eaves (ie right at the very edge of the ceiling)?

Would it be prudent to leave a tiny 25mm gap at the eaves or unnecessary?

If eaves are not ventilated by design then they are not ventilating the roof, so could potentially be blocked off. I've done it my gaff and done it on jobs where I could make a site assessment, but strictly you or someone would need to make that decision based on what you can see (or feel) in your particular roof.

Even if the unvented eaves are providing some adventitious ventilation, it wont be a great deal. So if you are concerned you could stuff some crumpled paper, cardboard or a polythene bag on the top just to create a small gap. Or buy some rafter roll and cut it into sections. The thing is you don't need to maintain the 50mm full width gap as recommended for vented eaves, but if you are minded or worried just "some" gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back