Do I need a new boiler, or just a service...?

What you've got there is an old boiler that needs the bajasus servicing out of it it needs a new nozzle and resetting and it should then behave itself plus a new controller so water is independent to heating.Bob ps I'd love to get my hands on it hahahahah!!

Sponsored Links
What you've got there is an old boiler that needs the bajasus servicing out of it it needs a new nozzle and resetting and it should then behave itself plus a new controller so water is independent to heating.Bob ps I'd love to get my hands on it hahahahah!!

You're very welcome to get your hands on it any time you like

PS I'd wear gloves...

With an oil combi you have to heat the store to get hot water.
A boiler with proper controls will solve your problem.

Thing I don't understand is that the instruction manual for the controller explains how to set two independent programmes for heating and hot water, and I've checked I've done it OK.. somebody told me that some boilers aren’t designed in such a way as to allow this, whatever the controller says…

Any truth in that? If so, I’m constantly heating a tank full of water which I don’t use…

It has nothing to do with the boiler. It knows not what the demand is for.

I notice you have two pumps. are there any motorised valves... or a relay to control them??

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

What boiler is it Bob ?

Not one I have seen....It looks a little "Agricultural"........Apart from the burner.

It has nothing to do with the boiler. It knows not what the demand is for.

I notice you have two pumps. are there any motorised valves... or a relay to control them??

Sorry, I've no idea... as you'll have gathered, my knowledge of plumbing/heating is VERY limited :(

It's an old paddy made one they sent some over here many moons ago they were made bit like the eurocal and the turkingon with a bit of gerkos scuse spelling so you can guess the ilk of em they had a nam for fuel guzzling but back in the day I'm talking eightpence old money a gallon for kero or paraffin.Bob

Managed to find a serial number buried in the burner - the nice people at Riello tell me it dates from 1987 :eek::eek::eek: knowing the people who left this place, I seriously doubt if it's been serviced since then, so it's a wonder it still runs at all.

Anyway, I've got a trusted plumber coming on Thursday... I'll report back what he says :mrgreen:

I've posted elsewhere here, but here's some shelves I removed today... gives you an idea of the mentality of the people who lived here before...

IMAG1169.jpg
IMAG1168.jpg
IMAG1167.jpg

Not a ch expert but rads in a conservatory are a total waste unless you like burning money
Fitting a thermostat must be cheap ?
Presume bungalows need v good insulation due to roof size

Plumber was round yesterday, and we managed to get the conservatory rads turned off.

PS my first bike was a Tiger Cub :D

The reason your boiler has been running is it's got a riello burner in it real good burners and those old ones prob best they made.Bob

Ment to say I've found an old boiler manual from years ago ( and I'm not saying how many years)
and I think you may have an ancient warmflow boiler just athorght.Bob

I have an ancient oil boiler too and have two pumped radiator circuits and a gravity hot water tank circuit. This allows the (also ancient) controller to route the flow dependant on my preference. Something similar must be possible with yours. Is the bungalow all one level or do you have an upstairs in the roof?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back