Do I need a new boiler, or just a service...?

I have an ancient oil boiler too and have two pumped radiator circuits and a gravity hot water tank circuit. This allows the (also ancient) controller to route the flow dependant on my preference. Something similar must be possible with yours. Is the bungalow all one level or do you have an upstairs in the roof?

It's all one level mate. The plumber came round yesterday, had a look and listen to it, and assured me it really needed replaced - he said it was miraculous it was still running at all, and that the boiler (as opposed to the burner) was one of the most inefficient ever made, even when new. He's been a friend of the family for about 20 years, so I reckon we can trust him.

The next door neighbour confirmed that it hadn't been serviced in at least the 16 years since the woman's husband left, and that her own husband had managed to coax it back into life a few times since then, but it rattled and banged and frequently just packed in. It's really rusty, things hanging off it, and leaking oil.

I've qualified for the £700 subsidy from the Housing Executive for a new one so, once they've processed the paperwork, that's the way we're going...

Sponsored Links
AAARRGGHHHH more bad news.

It’s absolutely freezing here tonight, and now the boiler seems to have packed in suddenly.

There’s oil in the tank, and it’s whirring, but not roaring, if you get me. I guess maybe that suggests the burner isn’t burning or something. The rads are stone cold.

Funny thing is, the pipes on both sides of the two water pumps are too hot to touch, and the pumps themselves are vibrating, suggesting they’re running…

Any ideas please? Only need the damn thing to run for another couple of weeks :(

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Bob. No it's just cold, not freezing.

OK, looking closer, I found the mains switches on the wall for the two pumps. I turned them off, then on again one at a time.

The top (green) pump (I guess for the hot water) is whirring away happily when powered on – but the red one emits the kind of hum an electric motor makes when it can’t turn for some reason. I switched it on and off lots of times, and tapped all round it loads with a hammer (gently) – it rattled and banged, and is now kind of spinning, but with a hell of a rattle.

I think the rads are warming up slightly, but I'm worried it’ll go bang or something… is there anything I can do, short of accepting that the whole system’s knackered, and buying a big electric fire till the boiler gets replaced???

**EDIT** OK the pump seems to be running smoothly now FFS. The noise it WAS making, you'd have thought it was loads of metal parts in a washing machine. And the burner is burning away happily, consuming gallons of oil per second, and heating me. Guess it's a new pump with the new boiler... sigh. Unless he'd normally fit one of them anyway???

Last edited:
Now it's running, I'd keep the thing on non-stop till replacement date If I were you :)

Final (!!) question... to save money till I get the new boiler, can I just turn the hot water pump off?

I have an electric shower, so don't really need hot water... but is it safe? Like, pressure wouldn't build up or something?

So just trying to avoid dying of cold here while I wait for the boiler grant to be approved… the heating pump came back to life after switching on and off a few times, but now it’s refusing to pump again. I remembered how to unjam it manually – I think – by removing the end cap/screw thing (turned the valves off on both sides of the pump first) and then rotating it manually with a screwdriver.

I thought a little water would come out, like bleeding, but as I loosened the screw there was a constant spray, so I had to tighten it up again, without having got to the manual screw.

Have I forgotten something really basic, or are the taps on either side of the pump knackered do you think?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back