Do I need additional vent on gas fire-max input 6.2kw

Kevin i was trying to be polite you never know people have been known to mention libelous action on this site for things said ;)

Agile you still dont understand that a smoke bomb test does NOT tell you if a flue is working correctly it tells you the integrity of construction is ok and its clear
The test AFTER tells you its working many clear flues dont work
And you would do at least one other thing before fitting a vent, can you tell me the first thing that would be done.

Sponsored Links
Kevin i was trying to be polite you never know people have been known to mention libelous action on this site for things said ;)

Agile you still dont understand that a smoke bomb test does NOT tell you if a flue is working correctly it tells you the integrity of construction is ok and its clear
The test AFTER tells you its working many clear flues dont work
And you would do at least one other thing before fitting a vent, can you tell me the first thing that would be done.

i can tell you, but i am one of those who teach cause i cannot do :evil:

Hi lads

My current fire which was condemned (the baby bricks in the chimney not the fire itself) was a basket type gas fire which just sat in the chimney breast (which is not very deep or wide) - this happened when I moved into the house.

The gas safe engineer who disconnected the fire said that these types of basket fires are not efficient as you input over 7kw and get very little output in return.

The basket fire gave out alot of heat, ie sitting on the sofa in front of it was heating your body up to the equivalent of sitting in front of a coal fire. We thought it was a coal fire to start with.

I therefore thought that if I bought a gas fire with the max output of 3.1kw that it would give me at least the equivalent of the basket fire which was originally fitted.

Am I therefore wrong in thinking this?

I am looking for a fire to pop on in spring/autumn when it may get a little chilly in the evening in the living room for a bit but not cold enough to put full central heating on.

Also, I do not want to have a fixed open vent put in my living room wall - therefore the only option is not to get a gas fire at all. Like I said previous, I though but going for a 6.2kw fire that I would definately not need a new fixed vent in the wall. I already have probs with the heating not being too great in the living room (another story) and don't want another hole letting cold air in.

Thanks

Fluff

Hi lads

My current fire which was condemned (the baby bricks in the chimney not the fire itself) was a basket type gas fire which just sat in the chimney breast (which is not very deep or wide) - this happened when I moved into the house.

Thanks

Fluff

Now you tell us!

Clearly the fire was OK but the problem was in the chimney!

Merely fitting a new fire will not repair the chimney.

What has been done to sort out the chimney?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi agile

sorry, :oops:, I am getting builder to fix the chimney. Therefore, the chimney will be restored to a class 1 chimney, no issue there, just the reluctance with the vent.

fluff

My solution would be to have the fireplace bricked up, (suitable vent fitted) have a rain cap fitted to the chimney..... And fit an electric fire... I have a real issue with cheap nasty pointless open flued gas fires made from old washing machines.

Absolutely nothing wrong with a correctly fitted open flued fire , trouble is there is too many people out there now who dont even understand the basics of flue testing and spillage testing,
Best they stick to fixing broken down boilers and leave the proper gas work to those that know what they are doing.. :rolleyes:

Open flued fires have no place in a modern world... Their cheap and nasty bent tin casings are as attractive as a septic wound.... In these days of high energy prices,I'm amazed that anyone fits these, yet there are plenty who try to heat their homes with them.... And when they are not wasting gas, they are allowing the nice warm air in the room to escape outside then folk complain that their houses are cold....

Soon to come, Corgigrouches views on those loonytune folk who pay almost 2 grand for a sealed front door and then have a big hole cut in the middle of it to allow cold air and junk mail to enter their homes ;)

One of those Focal Points burns gas incompletely at the bottom behind a glass front.

The POC then exit from the top into the room through a cat.

Now I have not studied it in any detail, but I dont think there is anything to test the gases leaving the cat so it that was poisoned so would the occupants of the room.

If thats really so then how can anything like that be 100% safe in all situations?

Tony

Hi Tony

Not sure of the set up of the fire but I thought that the flames came up around the decorative pebbles - giving the look of a real flame. That's what it looks like from the picture on the box.

Therefore would I not get heat from these flames like I did from the basket type fire?

Obvious from my comments that I really had no idea what I was looking for in respect of a new gas fire. :oops:

Thanks again

fluff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back