Do I need additional vent on gas fire-max input 6.2kw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Looking for some advice. I am looking to buy a focalpoint lulworth multiflue gas fire. It has a max input of 6.2kw and max output of 3.1kw.

Would I require to have a vent installed in my living room?

At the moment there is a vent in the corner of the room which vents under the floor but not sure if this is adequate. Don't want to buy the wrong fire and have to fit additonal vent in the room.

Many thanks

fluff

Sponsored Links
an open flue fire under 7kw MAY need additional venting depending on spillage test results, but exact requirements will be indicated in the MI's

Hi kirkgas

thanks for the quick reply.

what is the spillage test results?

I have bought the fire but I don't want to have an air brick put in the wall. I am having probs getting the fitter that I want at the moment as he is very busy.

How would I know which fire I can safely get without having to have this fitted? The one that I looked at is a multi-flue - don't know if this makes any difference.

thanks

fluff

It all depends on the result of tests the gas installer has to do before fitting the fire.

Under 7 kW, not all fires need a vent in every situation but some do. It all depends on the manufacturer's installation instructions as well as the tests.

Tony

Sponsored Links
if you are keen on a fire without a vent it will be difficult to sort out BEFORE the fire is fitted, it is easy to read the instructions and see you MUST have a vent, but others will say "may" not need a vent, depending on (complying with relevant BS doc) spillage test amongst other checks, to be honest i am not comfortable discussing what a spillage test is, a gas engineer (should :eek: ) know how to do it, an unregistered person doesnt need a bit of info on it, but basically it is THE most important safety test on an open flue(chimney) appliance to confirm it is safe to leave on.

Agile .
would you like to tell us how a spillage test is carried out before a fire is fitted as this is what tells us the flue is actually working and not just clear.And is what determines whether a vent is req if MI dont stipulate it.

Try and keep up yourself the guy is asking whether he needs a vent.
Agile answered this will depend on tests BEFORE the fire is fitted, WRONG it is down to final spillage test which can only be carried out AFTER the fire is fitted

Ah yes!
The difference between those who DO the job, and those who read about it and pretend

Hi guys

thanks for all the replies.

To recap (hopefully this is correct). I can't guarantee that any gas fire that I chose will not need a vent put in until the spillage test is done - is this correct?

I just don't want to have to put an fixed open air brick thro the outside wall. I already have a vent which goes out thro the floor in the corner of the living room. Is there any alternatives other than an electric fire?

Thanks again for your help.

Fluff

Thats it in a nutshell, fluff
Every property is different as some have more draughts than others. If you do need extra ventilation, and you have a suspended timber floor, vents can be (discreetly) put in there.
John :)

Focal point fires are not that good and heat from them is minimal far better if you have a brick built chimney to go for a full depth fire from the likes of Valor,

ie focal point fires are 100mm deep valor etc 225mm and give far better heat and coal beds etc last a lot longer.

Even if a vent was found to be necessary, we usually use a circular one which is fitted by drilling a round hole with a diamond drill.

They are relatively easy to fit and fairly inconspicious.

A test has to be done BEFORE the fire is fitted ( or better, bought ) to check the flue is working correctly and then AFTER the fire has been fitted.

If it were to fail the AFTER test then its necessary to increase the ventilation.

I hope you realise the heat output from most small fires is very low and they should not be considered as a significant form of heating, just a focal point which radiates a little heat. Even that heat is very inefficient as most of the heat produces goes out of the flue. A very expensive focal point in my view.

Electric fires are far cheaper and 100% efficient! Its very odd the market has not kept up with attractive designs of electric fires.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back