Do I need planning permission for a loft conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all i have a property and looking to add some additional room and was thinking i could convert my loft into an extra bedroom, do you know if i need planning permission for this and what building regulations do i need them to meet?

Sponsored Links
do you know if i need planning permission for this
Possibly - depends on size, appearance, what PD rights you do/do not have etc.

Ask your council.

and what building regulations do i need them to meet?
Lots.

All of the relevant ones.

If you don't already know then you do not have a hope in hell of doing any DIY apart from trivial stuff like decorating.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/bu...ation/currentlegislation/buildingregulations/

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/bu...ldingpolicyandlegislation/currentlegislation/

Why did you only ask about Planning Permission and Building Regulations? Is it a detached property?

Sponsored Links
Feel free to provide a rational, intelligent explanation of why someone who does not even know what the Building Regulations are can reasonably expect to do a significant amount of DIY design and construction of a loft conversion.

Or, alternatively, just ignore that request, on the grounds that it's impossible for you to actually do that, thereby confirming that you don't see why facts and reality should inform your decision to call me an idiot.

Feel free to provide a rational, intelligent explanation of why someone who does not even know what the Building Regulations are can reasonably expect to do a significant amount of DIY design and construction of a loft conversion.

I suppose you fell out of your mother's foof quoting Part H? Just because someone is ignorant of the regs right now doesn't mean they are incapable of learning or following them, designing and carrying out a loft conversion..

What I would say is research things ask questions don't just crash into all excited sometimes taking a little bit of time at the beginning can save at if time later. Also you get span tables and rafter tables just Google it and always uk might help. Also the architect engineer if you are using give technical drawing showing what fixings to use etc. Also if you have a friend who maybe knows any joiners they might be willing to set you off and keep you right as the job goes along. It's easier to fix things as you go along. Do you have a photo of the current loft

Just because someone is ignorant of the regs right now doesn't mean they are incapable of learning or following them, designing and carrying out a loft conversion..
Indeed not.

Care to estimate how long it would take for someone who doesn't even know what Building Regulations there are to become genuinely competent to design and build loft conversions by self-learning?

Also you get span tables and rafter tables just Google it
So you'd advise a DIYer to design and build a loft conversion on the basis of looking up data tables on the Internet? No actual understanding of structural engineering at all?

Also if you have a friend who maybe knows any joiners they might be willing to set you off and keep you right as the job goes along. It's easier to fix things as you go along.
That really does read as if you are also advising the utterly barmy and stupid idea of doing it via the Building Notice route, rather than a full plans submission.....

I'm not advise him to or not to do the work get advice on things you are presuming the owner is an idiot if I was doing I would at least get technical drawings

I'm not presuming he's an idiot, but I am presuming he wants to get this done this year.

And if in January he is asking what Building Regulations need to be complied with, then he is not going to be able to DIY the design or the non-trivial parts of the build.

OK also with all technical drawing if I was a dryer I would still get a joiner to be beside me to keep me right which I certainly not a dryer. He might look the drawings and see braces that are to be removed and placed else where and remove all of them before the structure had been made safe to do so

I'm not presuming he's an idiot, but I am presuming he wants to get this done this year.

Surely this is adding to the specification of the original question? The OP didn't say he was on a deadline.. That said, he also didn't say he was actually going to do the design or implementation too, so we might now be getting a little off topic?

how easy is it to replace a set of brake pads? how easy is it for a qualified mechanic?

it is pee easy and if you dont know how to change your pads or overhaul your braking system then you can pick it all up from a manual or from some instructions online.

i would guess that brake failure have the potential to be considerably more dangerous than a floor joist falling out of place.

can the OP use a measure tape, a saw and a screw driver? then lets not assume that he is an idiot and that you dont need to be a self righteous 'learned' "expert"(?) to convert a loft or fix your brakes.

The OP didn't say he was on a deadline..
No - I said it was presumption.

That said, he also didn't say he was actually going to do the design or implementation too, so we might now be getting a little off topic?
If he's employing competent professionals to do the work, why does he need to know what Building Regulations apply?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back