Do I need planning permission?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning a small kitchen extension which will connect our existing kitchen to the (currently stand-alone) brick-built shed. The extension will go to the maximum of 3 metres, which I understand can be done without permission. But the brick shed goes beyond the 3-metre allowance. I would also like to have a pitched roof put onto the shed, which currently has a flat concrete roof and it leaks!

The house has not been extended before. Do I need to get planning permission?

Sponsored Links
How big is the shed? Is your house detached or not?

Also, is the shed at the side?
This is where a quick sketch plan would help.

This came up before I think? Not sure what he conclusion was, I did something similar for a client a while back and my stance was I thought it would not be PD, fortunately my client was of the opinion that the La could do one if they ever kicked off!

Also we have the neighbour notification scheme now so presumably that could be of use here.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the sketch, you cannot join to the shed under PD. Sorry. It doesn't meet the criteria.

Aye but them's the rules. Though his shed is beyond the 3m anyway so even with a gap its not PD. But then with a gap it stays as an outbuilding! :p

Freddy, weren't you taught never to assume!

Her shed! :D I'm female! And it most definitely is my shed as I use it more than hubby.

We have a tradition here of suggesting that people ignore the regulations in cases like this, then arguing about it.

Cheers
Richard

We are a mid terrace, tunnel linked. the tunnel is just ours, not shared.

Hopefully this might give you some ideas...

The thing that seems to screw you here is that your extension will join the shed to the house so the whole thing would then have to be buildable under pd as if the shed did not exist and was being created anew. Alas, for side extensions (extensions that make the house appear wider) there's a width limit of half of the original house. Slim your extension down so it+shed width is at most half house width and I don't see a problem.. Then you'll have the delights of the neighbour consultation scheme to contend with

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back