Do I need to tank old plastered walls for a shower cubicle install?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bathroom is currrently tiled top to bottom on block built and plastered walls, including around the bath where the current shower is installed. The plan is to put in a shower cubicle as part of a complete rehash of the bathroom.

Reading through the forum and online, I'm not convinced whether I need to tank the shower area or not. The exisiting bath/shower tiling is still solid after maybe 20+ years in place, with no signs of water penetration, so do I really need to tank the proposed new shower area?

If I do, it means added work and time waiting for it to go off until I can actuallly get tiling. We will have to live around a partiially demolished bathroom as it is, with no other means of ablution, so time is of the essence.

Best to tank the area and be sure or is there generally no need?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would always tank, for peace of mind as much as anything. It doesn't take long to do and won't hold up the work that much. Last time I bought a complete kit, and it was all easy peasy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back