Do new boilers have design faults?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why do new gas boilers have a vent/drain in a position right over the top of PCB?
Should there be a leak from it, first damage would be a 300 quid PCB!
Might just be Viessmann.

Sponsored Links
The designs of too many items, not just boilers, are compromised by the conflict between cost of manufacture and the perceivable risks of malfunction.

Why do new gas boilers have a vent/drain in a position right over the top of PCB?
Might just be Viessmann.

That PCB is £300 to you and £50(?) to Viessman. That said, I do not believe that they intentionally build in design faults for the sake of selling more spares. Not even Apple do that (but they do have a history of refusing in warranty repairs even though they know components are faulty).

Might just be Viessmann.

If they made things 100% reliable and cheaply repairable, then they would go out of business. They have to fail and need parts or replacements, for a manufacturer to continue to manufacture and stay in profit. Lots of things are designed to have a limited working life, I have been known to diagnose early causes of failures and redesign to improve and extend the reliable life.

Our current washing machine must be around 12 years old now. It first failed a weeks outside the guarantee period, due to a fault on it's controlling PCB. I investigated, found it was due to a 10p capacitor, which had failed due to heat from the two adjacent heat sinks it was mounted between. Cap replaced with one with a more robust temperature rating and it has been fine ever since.

Sponsored Links
I have a Dyson washing machine purchased in 2002. Still does a perfectly good wash. Built to last but expensive to buy so the market was limited.

20 years ago my boiler had constant relay failures for the sake of a little suppression cap/resistor.

What I'm getting at is that there has always been lack of foresight when designing some stuff.

20 years ago my boiler had constant relay failures for the sake of a little suppression cap/resistor.

What I'm getting at is that there has always been lack of foresight when designing some stuff.

There can be obvious failings at the design stage, failings to adequately test a design, then simple mistakes in specification to account for all likely operating conditions, which can bite much further down the line.

Last edited:
Boilers designed by people who do not work on them there lies the problem they know they have to fit x amount of components into a box and in many cases service and repair is last thing they think about

Boilers designed by people who do not work on them there lies the problem

Exactly

Engineers involved in the design of a new telephone switchboard were required to be the lunch time telephone operator for a few days. They learnt far more about what the operators were doing than they would have done by just talking to the operators

The problem with wall mounted gas boilers is that the controls have to be accessible, so this means they are fitted at the bottom of the boiler and thus under the water works. Floor standing boilers are able to have the electronics above the waterworks, except for certain oil combi boiler manufacturers who persist positioning two circulating pumps beneath the 4 DHW heat exchanger connections which invariably leak after a couple of years.

The problem with wall mounted gas boilers is that the controls have to be accessible, so this means they are fitted at the bottom of the boiler and thus under the water works. Floor standing boilers are able to have the electronics above the waterworks, except for certain oil combi boiler manufacturers who persist positioning two circulating pumps beneath the 4 DHW heat exchanger connections which invariably leak after a couple of years.

It's the same with clothes and dish washing machines too, all the control electronics down below, but all the ones I have come across have had a protective water shield over the top to deflect any water.

Ideally PCB and controls separately mounted on a wall, connected by a multi core flex. No wireless receiver to blow up either. No heat damage, no water damage!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back