Do The Experts Know What Part P Is About? - - NO!

does it need to be transportable or could you build in situ on a raised base?

It doesn't matter where it's built, so long as it remains capable of being moved whole once assembled. So as long as it falls within the set limits and it is possible to move it, it's a caravan for legal purposes. So as long as you can somehow remove it whole from the base and tow it somewhere else, fine.

I'd actually toyed with the idea (if I could ever find a suitable piece of land on which it would be possible) of getting just a basic shell with all exterior doors, windows, roof etc. built and set up on a base, then taking my time to fit out the interior with furnishings, partitions, doorways, wiring, plumbing etc. once sited.

Sponsored Links
There must be a defined point where it becomes a building!

The Part P SI says that Part P applies to a 'dwelling'.

A caravan is a dwelling.

Building Act 1984 says a building means any building :rolleyes: or any other structure (unless the context of use requires otherwise)

A caravan is a structure.

The context of use of the word 'dwelling' in the Part P SI requires the inclusion of 'caravan' in the defintion of building.

Therefore Part P applies to caravans.

Discuss.

(nicely please, I can already sense some people getting apoplectic :) )

heh heh heh

The Build Regulations 2000 make the following definitions (my emphasis added):

"building" means any permanent or temporary building but not any other kind of structure or erection, and a reference to a building includes a reference to part of a building;

"dwelling" includes a dwelling-house and a flat;

“dwelling-house” does not include a flat or a building containing a flat;
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2000/uksi_20002531_en.pdf

The S.I. which introduced Part P is The Building (Amendment) (No.3) Regulations 2004 is here:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2004/20043210.htm

Note that it amends the Building Regs. 2000 ("the principal legislation"), so the latter's definition of a building stands, as far as I interpret it.

Of course, a definition of a word which includes that word itself is a poor definition and open to confusion!

The context of use of the word 'dwelling' in the Part P SI requires the inclusion of 'caravan' in the defintion of building.

Why does it require it? The Part P S.I. refers to both dwellings and dwelling-houses at different points, but as the Building Regs. 2000 definition of those doesn't include caravans, they don't apply.

Sponsored Links
A civil response which is well argued and has a great deal of merit.

Let others note.

Of course, a definition of a word which includes that word itself is a poor definition and open to confusion!
indeed it is...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back