Do timber fascias and soffits add strength to the roof structure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on having the fascias and soffits changed to my house. The current timber ones have been neglected by the previous owner and we are looking for a low maintenance option (plastic) to replace them with.

Is it acceptable to remove the timber in full and replace with plastic or do the timber boards add strength to the roof structure. I wouldn't want issues in the future through not doing it correctly. If they do add strength then do they need to be replaced with new timber and over clad in plastic?

Sponsored Links
They are purely cosmetic.

The advantage of having a timber backing (ie keeping the original or fitting new timber) and over-cladding, is that timber performs better in a fire and can prevent fire spread to or from the eaves, and that by keeping a timber backing when its time to replace the plastic, replacement can be done relatively easily without disturbing the whole eaves.

Remember that if you are 9mm fascia, this will need a timber support.

Woody - Would you bother replacing the timber and over cladding or just use heavier gauge plastic? The timber in most areas is not that bad so i could rub it down, coat it and then over clad it but then the plastic would sit pround of the render rather than on top as per the existing timber.

I would always over clad.

For existing timber you don't need to prep it as long as it is protected from the weather - so in most cases this will mean replacing any rotten eaves felt and fitting plastic eaves support trays. Then the fascia protects the timber face.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Is it OK for the soffit to but up to the pebbledash or does it need to sit above it?

Whatever looks best. The joint will be sheltered from the weather, but consider how insects will be kept out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back