Do timber fascia boards add structural strength to the roof

The roof is currently lined in timber which i have never seen before but was apparently common in the 20's/30's. I was thinking of having this removed whilst the tiles are off and then membrane, batten, tiles, re-point the chimneys, new leadwork, fascias, soffits and gutters

Sponsored Links
Clay plain tile .
Put in a notice to building control or get an independent. They will check insulation and advise to meet current requirements (or as near as possible)
Also a few little bits and bobs . It's worth paying for to get a sign off . You'll need if you sell .
In An ideal world get a roofer that can work with the roofline guys .. otherwise you could end up with he said this etc

Sponsored Links
sorry for the delay.. Yes i will be replacing the tudor boards (they are in a bad state). I had planned to use the fake boards but want to see what they look like in person before i make that decision. Again reduced maintenance is the key but don't want to lose the look. Does anyone have any experience with tehse?

Clay plain tile? Sorry i am not sure what this means?

We use flat board all the time when we replace tudor boards. Much cheaper , looks the same from a distance.clay plain tile is what your roof has on it at present I presume. Are you planning to change this as well?

oh right yes they are. I want to replace with new but to match as close as possible the existing. I have had a few samples and Marley seem like they do an almost perfect match and they are reasonably priced being basic tiles.

I also want to remove the tiled section between the 2 bay windows and redo in pebble dash to match the rest of the house. Have never been a fan of these tiled panels and again it is not in the best of states.

If the tudor boards are replaced with timber, i will be for ever painting them which whilst doable is not ideal. Are they every few years?

Flat boards come in different finished colours. We mainly use black, or rosewood colours once there on no more painting.

Gap, or euro cell. I have a photo of a job we did I’ll dig it out so you can see. Also kestrel do a range as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back