Do we need a full reroof?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
169151D3-5283-4D0C-92C6-96B7E5FE59A2.jpeg
1459C93D-5B73-4F93-85DC-8B3AC23E1052.jpeg
3F7020DF-FF78-4BD3-8F7A-E2743BA3394A.jpeg
Please help! We’re not actually considering doing this on our own, just looking for roofing advice. We’ve been living in our first house for just over a year and know nothing about roofing!

We have a leak coming into our bedroom along the line of the eaves of the house. We’ve been told by two different companies that this is caused by the sarking felt receding behind the fascia of the house (see pics).

To resolve this we’ve been told by some companies that we can just have the felt/ a few rotten battens replaced, or have eaves trays installed, in order to divert the water to the gutters.
Others have said this alone will not solve our problem, and have recommended a full reroof, as they say the problem is caused by gaps in the tiles due to degradation.

Our roof seems to be the same as most other houses on the street. Suggesting we would be among the first to need a full reroof. Are we being hustled? It’s so hard to tell who is telling the truth!

Sponsored Links
Under lay support trays are not the be all and end all.
You say along the bedroom along the outside wall ..Ceiling?
What is the insulation like in the loft?

60s or 70s build then yes concrete roof tiles coming to the end of their life.

Just change the first layer of felt and fit a plastic eaves tray and use new battens.

The felt in other parts of the roof does not degrade as fast, so will last as long as the tiles.
Those tiles will have many years left in them.

Don't believe firms that tell you you need a re-roof based on a defect only in one part of the roof.

Sponsored Links
5E21A5CF-CECC-4B8D-BD42-666068764275.jpeg
B454BDAC-DEAD-4314-82DD-C8A671E1FAAE.jpeg
Much appreciated advice. I think we are leaning towards just having the trays installed for now.

We’ve been in the attic when it’s raining heavily and can’t see water coming in anywhere, although it is fully boarded. So it appears to be just the very edges of the roof which is letting water in.

I’ve attached some further pictures of the damage in the bedroom for anyone who is curious.

Any photos of the insulated area inside the loft?

I think this is probably a bad case of condensation. Bedrooms can be bad.

make sure your insulation is up to scratch and increase loft ventilation. which it sounds like you have none
and importantly open/ventilate your bedroom windows/trickle vents make sure the bathroom / kitchen extractor is working properly

Underlay support trays are cheap and easy to fit. but i doubt it will solve this. Worth having though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back