Do you carry a first aid kit on the job?

Sponsored Links
Always had first aid kits in vans and cars, fully stocked.
Although, I am guilty of falling behind with replacement of sterile stuff lately.
To my luck i've only used them for minor things.
One essential item I found is a foil blanket.
Last year they pulled a woman off the cold waters of the isle of wight and she was shivering.
10 minutes in that blanket and she went home on her own feet.

Booked. £486. I chose Romford as it’s the nearest and there’s a decent café nearby. :D

Last edited:
A roll of Clingfilm is worth having close to the official first aid kit as it is a near perfect covering for burns. Then cool through the clingfilm

EDIT

Only applies for heat burns, do not use cling film on chemical burns as that will keep the corrosive material on the burnt area and thus prevent flushing of the wound,

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A roll of Clingfilm is worth having close to the official first aid kit
Also useful for a punctured lung, though should be taped on 3 sides to allow air out but not in!
And heaven forbid you have a gunshot wound... find a tampon! :)

Write "Not for sandwiches" on the clingfilm box or the apprentice will have away with it :)

I have never seen our first aid kit at work, when I ask I get told it's in the bosses office because he is the 1st aider.

So I keep my own, I have a PPE draw that includes enough tablets to restock Boots and some plasters etc. WE have the bulk stock in a cabinet in the workshop anyway so I'm not far from some of it.
I used to carry a first aid kit in the car, all out of date stuff from work - the theory being that it will save a life first, it's usually still clean as in sealed packets.
But now its been several years and I really do need to replace it :)

Always had first aid kits in vans and cars, fully stocked.
Although, I am guilty of falling behind with replacement of sterile stuff lately.
To my luck i've only used them for minor things.
One essential item I found is a foil blanket.
Last year they pulled a woman off the cold waters of the isle of wight and she was shivering.
10 minutes in that blanket and she went home on her own feet.

Just something to be aware of. Foil blankets are not effective against hypothermia despite the claims. They reflect the heat. They are good to stop warm people getting cold (like athletes etc after they finish), but are not suitable to help cold people get warm. I was very surprised to learn this on my last sea survival course, it's not common sense, until you think about it. Warm dry clothes (preferably ones that have been worn by a warm human) and blankets are better

Lip balm
Suncream
Eye wash
Fingerstall
Finger bandage applicator
Melolin dressing
Tegaderm film
Aspirin
Dedicated scissors
Sterile wipes + irrigation supplies
Gloves
Micro tape
Sphygmomanometer

I only ever travel if closely followed by a full 'Class A' operating theatre.

I cannot understand why anyone else wouldn't?

I only ever travel if closely followed by a full 'Class A' operating theatre.

I cannot understand why anyone else wouldn't?

It's the same as a organised storage system, once you have made the effort to get the system in place, it's a shame to stop using it and that makes it easier to continue.

For the sake of £5 you might be able to make a major difference to someone's health.

Lip balm
Suncream
Eye wash
Fingerstall
Finger bandage applicator
Melolin dressing
Tegaderm film
Aspirin
Dedicated scissors
Sterile wipes + irrigation supplies
Gloves
Micro tape
Sphygmomanometer

You forgot Condon's, you never know when you meet a sexy customer who wants to pay by other means! ;)

Andy

Sponsored Links
Back